1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well this isn't a conflict, is it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rudy Petross, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Reporter/Ad Rep
    Reporter/Ad Rep Posted Jan 19
    Northern Herald Publicatons, Inc., Bemidji, MN

Investigative reporter needed for regional newspaper in Northern Minnesota. Must be willing to relocate to this very beautiful area which seethes with corruption. Should be able to do all phases of reporting, interviewing and writing. Also events coverage and photojournalism. Must be willing to do some ad sales (distinct from the reporting function), as that is part of this combined job.

There are so many responses to this I don't even know where to start. The obvious is the corruption line, which apparently can be applied to the employer as well. Also the lines between editorial and advertorial are not just blurred, they are cataract ridden. Finally, I joked a couple of years ago that with duties expanding to web, taking pictures, twittering, et all it wouldn't be long before we would be asked to collect aluminum cans.
    Ok, I eagerly await the responses.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love the ad. A pit of seething corruption sounds like a great place to make some money on the side.

Oh, so you don't want to buy an ad, Mr. Sandwich Shop owner?

Let me then get out my reporters' notebook. Mind if I interview your employees for a story I am doing on undocumented workers?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This isn't a real paper. The "owner" is a nut-job. I think this Web page should confirm it. By the way, the site hasn't been updated in a month.

http://northernherald.finalhost.net/

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You say it's not a real paper. Does it publish?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Quarterly. It's the owner's personal rag.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

So, I'm guessing he doesn't sell ads for it? Right?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is there anything else to do in Bemidji except seethe in corruption.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They have a college hockey team.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are they seething?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Didn't you know that the team really just assaults kids in Bemidji and pays off the police with cocaine that they get from connections at the Bemidji Pioneer. It's a story that's waiting to be told and everyone is covering it up.

Of course breaking news is that Jimmy Dean Sausage is $2/lb at Walmart.

11. Zeemer

Zeemer Member

Go, You Fightin' Seethers!

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

That Web site makes me sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted