1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, this is one way to meet the girl you saw on the subway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 11, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071109/od_nm/subway_dc_1

Good on 'im for trying. :)

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I give it two months. Tops.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sounds like a lame movie in the making to me. Cue that lame James Blunt song now.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I remember this movie ... wasn't the dude from NSYNC in it?

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Didn't Randy Wolf once try this?

Wasn't he supposed to win the Cy Young?

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

And Sammy Sosa, Eric Young, and Damon Buford... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279286/fullcredits#cast

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I need to learn how to make a Web site.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone from NYSportsJournalists.com ever met a woman and got her phone number during the course of a subway ride? Does this happen?

I never have, but it's almost a lifelong dream -- even if I don't ever call her, I just want to know I have pulled it off at least once. It's difficult. Short window of opportunity, you have no idea when she might get off and it is an unnatural setting to be hitting on women. It sort of, almost came up for me last week. A beautiful woman was sitting next to me on the subway during the middle of the day reading something. All of a sudden she blurted out, "Oh shit. I missed my stop." So I said something about how what she was reading must be really good. And that led to a smile and a three-minute conversation... before she got off at the next stop to switch back to the uptown train. She gave me a smile and a "nice to meet you," and that was that.

It's funny that someone posted this story, because I had the thought at the time, "Well, what more can you do in that situation?"

9. Clever username

Um, get off with her and ask her out or for her number?

10. The Big Ragu

Aside from my social anxiety issues and my hypersensitivity to doing anything that seems stalkerish, I was on the subway because I was on my way to a lunch meeting with someone. But the suggestion is legit if you are willing to risk the awkwardness of the interaction.

11. Clever username

You know, I was going to add the caveat of not having the time to jump back on another train but decided against it for some reason.

And I shouldn't criticize, I have no idea how she said "Nice to meet you." If she lingered, added a "well" at the beginning, looked back when she got off, then I would have made my friend wait. If she was quick with her goodbye and disappeared from the train even quicker, then no big loss. It was probably somewhere in between, though, which is far worse. That leaves you hanging and wondering.

12. The Big Ragu

Not to totally take over the thread. But there was nothing special about the nice to meet you. I might have gotten a flirtatious smile, but sometimes I don't read these things well. And the meeting wasn't with a friend. It was business, and it was fairly important. Either way, I still wouldn't have gotten off. Split second decision, and I wouldn't have had the balls.

Draft saved Draft deleted