1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Well, this is not a boat accident." Shark kills bodyboarder.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/he-died-doing-what-he-loved-1.1280605
    via http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/04/great-white-shark-kills-bodyboarder-david-lilienfeld-south-africa/1

RIP David Lilienfeld, who died (Thursday, I think) in South Africa.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

20 years old... ugh

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

"This was his life and he died doing what he loved.”

He loved getting eaten by sharks?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That cliche can be retired any day now. I'm guessing he knew how he was dying and didn't exactly enjoy it.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, this is not my beautiful house.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not for anything, but if a grieving parent wants to try to take some solace in the idea that their deceased child was at least doing something that made them happy when they were killed, I'm inclined not to give them shit for it.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, the exception being one I read on here a while back when a family member said something to the effect of "He died doing what he loved, drinking lots of beer and driving really fast."

Edited to add that just because I give family a pass for saying "He died doing what he loved" or "Heaven needed a..." doesn't mean the reporter should use that quote.

8. mb

mb Active Member

Heaven needed a one-legged surfer?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Anyone notice the keen surfer watched three different shark attacks? Hey buddy, you maybe want to flag someone down or yell a little?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you."

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And that dude in the boardshorts on the beach is going to do what, exactly? Fire some Coppertone at the Great White? How long do you think the shark took between attacks, 20 minutes?

Yeesh. A young guy got killed by a shark and the parents are supposed to call him an asshole and Superman was supposed to show up when another bodyboarder yelled, "shark."

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This thread is emblematic of what being a bitter newspaper employee is all about. And I don't mean it as a compliment.

Draft saved Draft deleted