1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, that's one way to cover the Phelps story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

<A HREF="http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1010665.html">"Two Jews and a black man help Phelps fulfill Olympic dream "</A>

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm really not sure what to make of this sentence.

Lezak - a good Jewish boy from California - put on a great show.

In fact, the entire thing is terrible, even getting the quote from the French wrong.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, that line jumped out at me, too.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

To be fair, Haaretz is an Israeli newspaper...maybe they wanted to give their readers a reason to feel connected to Lezak et al. But yeah, poorly executed. (Incidentally, I can't get the Haaretz website to load all of a sudden.)

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Did you accidentally wander into China? That could have done it.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the story.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Well, if it is an Israeli paper, written by someone of the Jewish faith, I presume, I understand it perfectly.

Grew up in a city that was heavy Poles, Germans, Irish, etc.

I heard similar language all the time growing up. Just substitue Polish/German/Irish for the word "Jewish" in that sentence and you know what I mean.

They were words of endearment then and this has the same tone/feel.

8. lono

lono Active Member

Celebrating the accomplishments of Jewish athletes in an Israeli paper doesn't bother me. The lede, on the the other hand, sucks canal water.

"Thousands of spectators and journalists stood on their feet for minutes and applauded in every language one of the greatest moments in the history of swimming, as they held their heads in disbelief. Some commentators even went as far as saying it was the greatest sporting event of all time. Former Israeli swimmer Yoav Bruk said it was the biggest single sporting event of all time, and he wasn't exaggerating by much. Certainly, it was an instant classic that will be remembered a long time from now. Many of the journalists said it was the biggest Olympic moment since runner Michael Johnson's record at Atlanta, no less."

Thousands of journalists? All fanboi types? That's a hideous lede, simultaneously filled with generalizations and redundant, too.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I definitely understand it, I suppose it just sounded funny the way it was written.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There used to be a writer for the L.A. Sentinel named Doc Young. His stories always said something like:
    Led by African Americans Reggie Smith and Dusty Baker, the Dodgers scored a 5-3 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Friday night. Black relief pitcher Dave Stewart worked a scoreless seventh inning for the Dodgers.

Draft saved Draft deleted