1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, that was fun while it lasted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oil breaks a single-day record for largest price increase, jumping from around $104 a barrel to $130. The most annoying thing? This paragraph:
    So, you have rules in place to prevent a dramatic run-up in prices. Then, once the run-up occurs, you take all of 30 seconds to say fuck the rules and full steam ahead. Thanks a bunch, assholes.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/oil-makes-biggest-single-day-price-jump/183574

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm sure gas will go up at the pump as slowly as it's fallen over the last several weeks.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

As will our mileage rates.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got to inflate the prices so they stay at the same level they are now.. fuckers

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It seems like we're on a frustrating treadmill. Oil inches down, stocks go up, the dollar gains a bit of value, economy improves a little. Stocks have a bad day -- probably because an analyst had bad chinese food for lunch and railed against Chinese imports on Fox Business -- and everybody jumps back onto oil and other commodities, the dollar loses ground, we go back in the crapper and lose another investment bank.
    Where does this end, if ever?

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Fuck. and I put off filling up today with the gas light on.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To be fair, gas prices dropped 25-30 cents in one fell swoop at a lot of places here late last week/early this week.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes, b/c they'd been artificially inflated pre-Ike.

They'll go up again and keep going up this time.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Which will puncture the whole "ODD HOW GAS PRICES ALWAYS DROP JUST BEFORE THE ELECTION" meme that usually pops up this time of year.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not to get political, but I'd gladly pay an extra $5 a tank to get the bozos in the White House out.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Given that only about one in five stations here actually has gas, and it's been that way since Ike hit, price is less an issue here as availability. I don't want to pay $5 a gallon, but I do need enough gas to go cover a road game this weekend.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oil for November back under $107 (thankfully):

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aoF3sS1zSGIw&refer=canada

Unfortunately, oil for October is locked in at the higher $120 level.

Draft saved Draft deleted