1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, now what?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This is where competitive cheer will step into the breach.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Big Air Dogs!

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This could be a real door-opener for whoever wins the U.S. Open. Tiger's not there, Phil can't get over the hump and a lot of eyes will be tuned in. Maybe Andy Murray will finally win at Wimbledon? This could be the summer for a lot of niche sports to break through.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Fat chance. I don't think the league's marketing departments are wise enough to take advantage of any sort of opening in the traditional American sports calendar.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Seattle, Portland and Vancouver don't have a problem drawing fans.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's because those cities are filled with displaced wannabe Eurotrash.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There's always hockey! At least through tomorrow (and maybe Thursday morning ET).

8. printdust

printdust New Member

These idiots are finding out how incredibly hard families are struggling to afford their overpriced "entertainment."

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In non-Olympic years, I found the slowdown really hits about the first week in July, after Wimbledon is over.

In June, you have the NBA and Stanley Cup Finals, US Open golf, College World Series and a smattering of high-school season-ending and all-star events to keep your mind (and pages) occupied. July is more of a challenge. Football is still 4-6 weeks away, baseball drags on like an assembly line, and the golf tournament (with the exception of the British Open) are mundane. CFL season starts, which draws some interest in some pockets; ditto for MLS.

But I think July is the slowest month on the sports calendar. At my last shop, we had a short-season minor-league baseball team, which while not really exciting, at least provided some diversion.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe the teachers. What about the rest of us?

11. dooley_womack1

Poin will take care of the rest of us.

12. dooley_womack1

This is the opening that hurling has been looking for.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted