1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We'll never learn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 20, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

HUD plans to tweak $8,000 tax credit rules so first-time homebuyers can get instant down-payment assistance.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/18/real_estate/tax_credit_as_downpayment/index.htm?postversion=2009051912

2. Nothing cuts in teacher salaries won't solve.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As a future first-time home buyer later this year....I'll take it, thank you very much.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah I don't think this is a good idea. But if I can get the $8,000, I'm getting together with some friends and buying a house.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've fought the good fight the last 10 years (shocking that it's the exact amount of time I've been with the wife). I've paid EVERY bill on time. Not late once. I don't have a mountain of debt. No outrageous credit card fail.

So if the govt wants to lend me a hand when we go to buy a house, I'm taking every penny they wanna give.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Your not the type of person that would default on your mortgage though. You pay your bills. It's the people who don't that should have us worried. Now they can get a house.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I don't think that $8K is going to make the difference these days on whether people can or cannot get a house. If you don't have a decent credit score, it won't matter unless you have 20 percent down. The banks just aren't giving as much money away.

Me, I'm getting my $8K back with my taxes next February and paying off my car, then i'll use some of the extra i have each month to pay ahead on my mortgage.

And I'm with Ryan... I've done it all by the books for the last 12 years. I didn't buy a house when I didn't think I could afford it. So if there is finally a government program to help me, then dammit, I'm taking it all!

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If this goes through in my state, it would help me out. I don't have $8,000 to put down on a house, and I can't afford $1000 per month for a mortgage, but I can get two of my buddies to rent from me. Even if I charged $350 a month plus utilities - less than they pay for rent now, I would have most my mortgage paid each month, and I would have more than a 5 percent down payment.
    Or, I ca

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm planning on buying our first house within a couple years, and for the areas I want to live in, 8k almost *is* a 20% down payment.

Man, I love living in low-cost-of-living areas.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

You can buy a house for 40-50K?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No shit. Where do you live Rick? Haiti?

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Detroit?

Draft saved Draft deleted