1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, if Joe Pa can't control himself, how can he control his players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Dan, I'm closer to your way of thinking than some others, but not that far.

If you believe the rank-and-file fan thinks he should be able to call his own shots, you should get out and talk to them. There are a lot of them who think it's time to move into the 21st century.

His greatest failing has been his refusal to understand the immediacy of the media today. He could let Matt Millen or Steve Smear or whomever run rampant around State College, because the glare was not as strong as it is today. He never changed with that, and has never understood it.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, back to the personal insults. Your posts on this thread have been insanely fanboyish. If you can't see that, I truly wonder about your judgement.

You can think whatever you want. But in this case, your view has absolutely been skewed by your emotional attachment to Penn State.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I understand that. But he's still a great man.

He should have retired by now. But it's an insult to have writers calling for his head.

Paterno has done more in his career than any one of us, and that counts for a lot.

Let the guy go in peace.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Go masturbate on someone else, POO. You're nothing special.

5. outofplace

Well, sounds like a strange fantasy you have there. I hope JoPa's not involved. That would be even more disturbing.

I never claimed to be anything special. But I did try to get you to face the truth. Apparently that is even more disturbing to you.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, ease up.

7. outofplace

I was just having the same thought, shotglass. Just not worth it.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This thread has left me, at times, cringing and laughing hysterically.

Time for me to begin my journey down to the stadium for a day, where my professionalism definitely will turn into a pumpkin, er, fanboy behavior for a few hours.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A fairly prominent (and successful) D-I coach has told me multiple times that Paterno is, at least now, one of the cheatinest coaches in the business.

But frankly, pretty much all of them all dirty pimps. I don't really care if Joe Pa wants to coach with a feeding tube at 104, I just find it hilarious that some people try to hold him up as some kind of saint. It's not an either/or thing. Personally, I don't care for Joba The Weiss, Nick Satan, Cheaty McSweatervest, Awk Schucks Carroll, Felony Fulmer or friggen Joe Paterno. None of them are saints while the others are evil. They're all pimps to some extent. Some of them are better men than others, but not by much.

We keep hearing on this thread: Respect the coach! Respect what he's done! Respect your elders!

Respect isn't something you earn once, hold onto forever and can bludgeon people over the head with when they disagree with you. Your actions today define you as much as your past.

I actually don't mind Joe Pa yelling at someone after a traffic incident as long as he wasn't playing Crazy Old Guy Who Drives Poorly and Thinks Everyone Else is at Fault. And even that is no big deal, honestly.

But the "he-broke-a-team-rule-and-that-rule-is-don't-rape" thing with the Austin Scott, especially in light of his comments about A.J. Nicholson's rape case two years ago, well, that bugs me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.