1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well here she is - the world's greatest catch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I've talked about this with Uma -- who happens to be the world's greatest catch, IMHO -- and we think it's because of babies and families, in part.

School, residency, fellowships, etc., take an incredible amount of time that is very much scheduled and detailed. And for many women that time is often interupted by childbirth and that throws the entire process out of whack and offline. Surgery residencies are usually 4-5 years after med school and often will be extended by another year or two if the doc wants to specialize in something like brain surgery. My wife, for instance, had thought about going through the OB/Gyn route, but the 5-year residency was too long for her. She wanted to get on with her life, enjoy her kids and start practing after three years instead of 4-7 years. So she went with Family Practice with extra training in OB.

I know that's kind of simplistic in some ways, but surgery is a long, long path.

2. JuneBug1

JuneBug1 Member

Drop dead gorgeous?

You have to get out more. She is a 6.5, MAYBE 7 on a good day.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

my sister's old roommate is in pediatric urology

i was to stupid to try that, because it would have been brilliant -- i mean, tons and tons of money there, plus after what she saw all day, i'd be lookin' huge

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Lugs,

It appears the number of women going into surgery -- and med school in general -- is going up. Many med schools are making a serious effort to recruit women. I think that's great, honestly. I think women make better doctors in many regards.

But here's another professional gender thing I've noticed: There very few female dentists. Why?

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

And I all-but chucked mine instead. I couldn't stand seeing my wife go through grad school, med school and residency and not utilize the talent, skills and gift she has.

Plus it made good financial sense. ;)

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

She can't be the world's greatest catch. She's not a nymphomaniac coke connection who owns a Ferrari dealership. (/georgecarlin)

7. 85bears

85bears Member

Yeah, a 7 who makes about $500,000 a year - plus, now, book royalties.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I wish more men would be open to what you're doing.

Hoops - maybe something inside you was a little concerned... ;D

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Always amazed by the level of taste around here, especially when 99 percent of the guys I've seen in press boxes would have to schedule optional brain surgery just to have a woman of this caliber touch them.

If you're on a college campus (and it sure feels like many posters here are), maybe she's a 6.5/7 as gravity and the rigors of age have yet to take their toll on the general population... at 37, she's a solid 8 rolling out of bed in the morning and probably better when you dress her up.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually, my dentist is a woman, a cute older mom sort of lady, but man was she rough on me when she was working. I'm not sure I want to go back to her.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Come on Lester, dontcha know that all the wives/girlfriends of the posters on here look like Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Anniston. ::)

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I suspect few men would have a big problem as long as wifey is pulling in $200K+.

If wifey is, OTOH, utilizing her enormous talents helping people by doing tons of pro bono legal work for $25,000 a year, the dynamic changes.

Draft saved Draft deleted