1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well......hell on earth has arrived......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 25, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

That's a cluster.

Illinois does this stuff exceptionally well, and it always helps to have only two classes. The girls meet was last weekend. Prelims on Friday, finals on Saturday. The boys follow the same schedule this weekend. It usually goes like clockwork, and wraps up somewhere around 4 p.m. on Saturday.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ugh track. Is their anything worse than covering events sports (swimming, x-country, wrestling, track). Stories get so bogged down.

I've only seen something amazing once at a track meet, a 4x100 team that absolutely flew around the track. In seven years of reporting. Wasn't even from my coverage area.

You guys have my sympathies.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Six classes?? Holy... here in Ontario, population 12.7 million, we have one class and one championship for high school track and field. It's a three-day meet and this year it's set for Ottawa from June 7 to 9.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Indiana meet is one class, like all individual sports (as it should be). Not sure how it's smaller than Kansas' meet.

5. I'm also at the KSHSAA meet, but unlike Chef, I enjoy it for some strange reason.

Especially strange since I am a baseball guy and never covered track during my first 5-6 years in the biz.

I like the fact there are a million things going on. That means there are a million possible story ideas.

I've filed my stuff and am heading to bed soon so I can be up for tomorrow's 8 a.m. events!

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas has all 5 classifications, and I can see how it could be somewhat smaller than Kansas' because the UIL uses regional meets to winnow down the field and only the top 2 from each region go to Austin. There are no prelims or heats.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I like the chaos, though. I love going through the events by time on Thursday night, highlighting the top athletes so that I might have a guide to know where I ought to be looking for probable winners. Granted, the non-A/C press box in Cesssa Stadium sometimes smells like piss and isn't exactly the cleanest place, but I don't mind state track.

So long as I don't forget to bring sunblock.

8. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Virginia's public school state track meets aren't until next weekend.

The privates schools were like a week or two ago.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Quoting Beano Cook: "The only thing worse to watch than track is field."

Seriously, I love the sport because of the variety of events. New York's H.S. meet is in two weeks, and it never lacks for interesting stories. The state association watered it down 8-10 years ago by splitting it into 2 divisions, but the quality is still exceptional in many events.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Hey, is that coverage available as a podcast?

11. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I was there yesterday. First time in 12 years I didn't wear shorts. Forgot a little jacket, and froze my ass off in the morning.

And if you're a one-man show with three schools to cover, you can get in a lot of walking.

12. billikens

billikens Member

And now it's pouring in Wichita. They had moved the championship baseball game up to 3, but there's no way they make that now.

Has the track meet been delayed yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted