1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, don't I feel like a heel ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Slight threadjack: My wife's case of unintentionally getting a person getting arrested:

Years ago, my wife thought she was working for an agency for special needs kids and adults. Her boss, each week would pay her in cash, and also give her a receipt for money taken out for taxes, Social Security, etc. My wife thought it was strange, but took the money anyways.

End of the year comes, my wife is waiting for her W-2 forms from the agency. She doesn't receive it, and calls them. Turns out, the agency had no records of ever hiring her. My wife comes to find out that her boss was taking the agency's funds, paying my wife, and pocketing the taxes and other deductions from my wife, and several other employees. Boss got fired, and arrested for grand larceny. She served a brief jail sentence and had to pay back all the money.

My wife did get hired by the agency, for real, and worked there for a while.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Did she pocket the overage?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've almost had that happen to me, too. I was able to get to the horn in time, though. I even honked the horn when I saw some lady almost back into another woman. People are nuts.

5. She felt horrible about it, but didn't know what to do. IIRC, a day or two later she tried to give it to one of the cops who arrested him - the cop hung around the convenience store a lot (had a crush on her) - but he told her not to bother with it because the guy was a 'scumbag'.

She may have spent it on me, now that I think about it. She used to give me free cartons of cigs and Little Debbies all the time.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's romantic, W-b. Nothing says romance like cigarettes and Nutty Bars.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

OK, so the cops come and she doesn't at least riffle through all the paper money in the drawer? Even when the cop is standing there? That's not looking very hard.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Niiiice.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Someone in this business can afford a Mustang? Did I miss something?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's the worst story I've ever heard.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Indeed. Even if the guy is a scumbag, I'd still do everything I could to find him and give him $50.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Very unfortunate situation, but like others have said, it wasn't your fault. There's really nothing you shouldn't have done there.

It's the guy's own fault for being in a situation where he had to get taken to the pokey.

Draft saved Draft deleted