1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, don't I feel like a heel ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jul 16, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So between office hours and a game I had to cover last night, I decided to shoot over to the grocery store to pick up something to go with my steak for dinner.

I'm pulling into the lot behind a white van when said van stops. So I stop about 1 1/2 car lengths behind. I see the guy look in his side mirror (the left side of his van was about even with the center line of my car) and then put it in reverse, though he didn't hit the gas. He wanted a space he had passed by (not sure why he wanted that particular one when there were four spaces side-by-side all closer than the one he wanted). I figured he saw me and I was about to back up when he jammed on the gas in reverse. I blow the horn, but it's too late. He crumples the front of the hood of my Mustang.

So I get out and say, "Didn't you see me when you looked in your mirror?" He says no, apologizes and offers to exchange info. He worked for a security company which was overhauling the camera system at the grocery store and he tells me that he doesn't have an insurance card because his state doesn't require him to carry it (I guess that you have to have proof of insurance to register it, so registration counts as proof of insurance).

I tell him that I'll have to call the police then, because I can't take his word for it that his company has insurance. He's fine about it, so I make the call and we wait.

Turns out the guy is at the end of a 12-hour day installing the cameras and had about half-hour left before his 2 1/2 hour drive home. I, too, was in the middle of a long day, so we commiserated about that for awhile before the cop showed up.

Cop takes our statements (he admitted fault) and goes to write up the report. Cop then comes back, hands me my stuff and then says to the other guy, "Do you know you're driving with a revoked license?" The guy is shocked (SHOCKED!). Cop says he has to take the guy in. He then tells me I'm all set, and as I walk into the grocery store, I see him handcuffing the other guy.

I've been in very few accidents in my life, but I'm the type of guy that rarely bothers getting the cops involved if I don't have to. I know I was right, but having been the one who called the cops and gotten this guy arrested (it was apparently a misdemeanor and the guy would be released on bail shortly after being taken in), I still felt kind of shitty about it.
  2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I'd feel shitty for a while cause the guy got arrested, but you gotta protect your own interests. If you don't call the cops, he could get away with hitting your car with no insurance. Plus, he had no problem with you calling em. It's his deal, you were just there to witness it.
  3. pallister

pallister Guest

I got pulled over on my way home from work one night and was told I had an expired license. There was a mix-up with the dates when I got the license and I had no idea. Cop tells me he won't take me in but he can't let me drive home. I had to park it in the parking lot of a veterinarian's office about 5 miles from home. Luckily, a friend was still awake (it was about 1 a.m.) and she gave me a ride home. I had to get a ride back the next day to pick up my car and go get a license with the correct expiration date.
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And you said 'Watch where you're going next time, chief.'
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You didn't do shit wrong. No need to feel like a heel.
  6. I have to agree with Moddy. You were only protecting yourself. I don't blame you one bit. I would have done the same thing had I been in your shoes.
  7. John

John Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation on Thanksgiving Day when I was about 11. My mom and I were driving to her folks' house in Rome, Ga., in a heavy rain. We crest a hill and suddenly there's a car stopped just over it. Mom slams on the brakes but can't stop the massive station wagon we had then. We hit the car, a Mustang, and both have some pretty good damage.

As we wait for the police to show up, the guy in the Mustang is unbelievably nice and even works on my mom's car enough, doing what I'm not sure and cutting his hand pretty good in the process, so that she can at least make it the final 30 miles to Rome.

The cops show up and it turns out the Mustang was stolen. We then watch as this man who was so nice to us, he gets cuffed and put in the backseat of the police car. My most vivid memory of that day was my mom leaning into the front seat of the cop car and thanking the man for helping us get to where we were going on Thanksgiving.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not your fault, BigPern, and don't forget, he backed into you. If you hadn't called the cops, he could have claimed that you hit him from behind. In many states, a driver that rear-ends another car is automatically at fault.

And take a few days to make sure that you're physically healthy. I know people who have gotten hurt just by a slight fender-bender.
  9. Not your fault, Pern.

This reminds me of a story my friend told me while she was working third shift at a convenience store several years ago.

An old man walks in and buys a sandwich and a drink. She gives him change for a 10. Man looks at the money and says, politely, 'I gave you a $50.'

My friend looks around but she doesn't see a $50 bill anywhere. She tells him she can't do anything about it.

The guy tells her he just got out of jail and that's all the money he had. He says he really needs his correct change. She looks around some more. No 50. Sorry, she tells him.

He gets furious and starts shouting at her. There all by herself, she tells the man she'll call the police and let them figure it out. He says fine.

Police arrive and listen to both sides. They take a look at the register and don't see a 50 lying anywhere. They tell the guy to move on.

By now he's furious and is throwing a fit in the store. They snap the cuffs on him and take him away.

An hour later my friend discovers his 50 in the stack of 5s.
  10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Oh shit. Wow.
  11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Pern, I have a hard time believing the guy was "shocked" that he was driving with a revoked license. Expired, maybe, but not revoked. That's the sort of thing they tend to make sure you know about.
    You were completely right.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My initial reaction was like, "Yeah, right, as if he didn't know," too, but the more I think about it, the more I think he probably didn't know. If he had known, I figure he would have tried to settle it without the cops being called. He didn't.

When I said I needed to call the cops, he just said, "Yeah, that's fine." We talked for a solid 20 minutes and he never seemed the least bit concerned about the cops coming.

But, que sera sera.
Draft saved Draft deleted