1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, crap. RIP Wilford Brimley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Slacker likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tom Cruise definitely gave him what-for at the end of "The Firm."

Chef2 likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First noticed him in The Electric Horseman - which also featured "alum" John Saxon in addition to the still breathing Redford, Fonda and Willie Nelson. Underrated movie. Features perhaps the greatest throwaway line of all time by Nelson.
    But China Syndrome, The Thing..one of those actors who you saw on screen an instantly "knew" the character (or at least assumed, which made his role in The Firm so great. "The kind of intimate acts, oral and whatnot..."
    RIP

misterbc and Liut like this.
  4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I looked up "The Natural." Brimley was 49 years old when that movie came out. Man, throughout his whole career he looked like he was at least in his 60s. Nonetheless, RIP to a top-notch actor.

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  5. DanOregon

Think about Robert Duvall - losing his hair early (before he made it big) was probably the best thing for his career. See also Ed Harris.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is unbelievable to me. I would have guessed he was in his 60s then, but you're right, the math didn't add up. I had never thought about his age before this.

BTW, really good job on the thread title. I could hear Brimley's voice in my head saying "oh crap."

RIP.

Fred siegle likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He also was the top star for a couple of seasons on Our House, an NBC show in the mid-80s in which he played a grandfather who took in his grandkids and daughter-in-law.

He was 53 when the series started.

garrow likes this.
  8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Forever changed the way we all say Die-A-Bee-Tus.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He had a small part in My Fellow Americans too, a damn funny and underrated film.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He was perfectly struck in The Firm.

misterbc and swingline like this.
  11. DanOregon

Weren't he and Richard Farnsworth initially cast to play each others parts in The Natural? And honestly, it never looked like he was acting he nestled into his roles so well.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's the superpower of a talented character actor. You don't look on them as a movie star playing a part the way you do a Robert Redford or a Tom Cruise. He's just some guy who is part of the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted