1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, at least the Amish have a thriving newspaper.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Aug 17, 2009.

1. share24

share24 Member

I graduated from high school in an area with a heavy Amish population.

I moved away but recently moved back with my family.

While at the local Wal-Mart (wasn't here when I lived here) I nearly tripped over my own two feet when I was walking through an aisle and saw an Amish girl talking on a cell phone.

20 years ago there was a big ruckus because the Amish kids were loading car stereos into their buggies (using a car battery for power). Now they talk on cell phones?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

DC power = Good.

AC power = Bad.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Only problem is, the reporters will be receiving complaints on how the JV Pig Raising team is undefeated and works hard too, so they deserve coverage.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would cover them. Not only do they work hard, they bring home the bacon.

5. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Ace is on fire folks.

6. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

I picked up a copy of this newspaper when we traveled through the Amish area of Ohio in 2002. Very wide, and lots of pages and little bits and pieces of news. No photos though. I kept that edition for years.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

How do their swim teams manage in those skirts?

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Depending on how permissive the sect is, they sometimes allow one to take advantage of the use of electricity if it is at work, but not at home.

Or the Amish staff could get out their Underwoods and hack out stories for a non-Amish pagination & production department. They don't need electricity to read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted