1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welfare Cash for Lap Dances

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure Sean Delonas will correct the oversight with a beautifully drawn and incisive cartoon in a day or two.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Worth noting here: TANF and SNAP are not the same thing.

You cannot buy lap dances with EBT. You cannot get cash out of an ATM from EBT. The issue here is that EBT cards are also used as a distribution mechanism for TANF cash assistance (welfare).

If you qualify for EBT and TANF, they are kept in separate accounts that cannot interact. If a single-person household gets the maximum $200 in EBT and $158 in TANF, they can take $158 out of the ATM every month. They cannot withdraw $358. They cannot withdraw $159. They can use $358 to buy food, but they can't buy $159 worth of toilet paper because $200 has to go toward food. There are automatic controls in place on cash registers and debit systems to prevent abuse.

The Post is probably technically correct in its language, but talking about clubs "dispensing EBT cash" is pretty deceptive. This article is NOT about people using food stamps to buy lap dances, which the Post implies. That's sensationalist crap trolling for a reaction.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hah - no doubt it's on the drawing board right as we speak.

While we wait:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Next up: An interactive map highlighting the names and addresses of everyone on welfare.

5. Boom_70

[​IMG]

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It is ridiculously easy to challenge utter, fucking bullshit through reason and fact. If something is bullshit, you explain what about it is bullshit. It's much more compelling than, "The guy who published it isn't credible according to Starman, and since you don't know that you're a sucker."

I'm no cheerleader for Rupert Murdoch, but if I think something in the NY Post is silly, it's easy enough to point out factually what about it is contrived or false.

Ad hominem attacks are lazy and irrelevant.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nah, but then again that ain't the story I was tellin' ... but, hey, who knows, my guy could have been getting a line of b.s. thrown his way by a stripper. Then again, you ever know strippers to lie about money they're getting (as opposed to money they neeeeed)?

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No wonder they didn't sell! How many folks here have EVER bought a can of shot? :D

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Since he also said it was racist and race wasn't mentioned is there any chance he read the article?

10. Boom_70

Ask and you shall receive Az

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted