1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the SEC, Lane Kiffin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

My advice to Kiffin: Don't buy a house. Rent.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i guess if he can't have the usc job, he may as well coach some shitty team in the middle of nowhere.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think everyone is overreating to the Kiffin stuff. He's going to be fine at Tennessee.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If Monte Kiffin and the Ogre are both on his staff (as rumored), his defense will be fine.

But defense hasn't been the problem there.

People there are talking about Bill Callahan as the possible OC, too. Maybe they can get Art Shell to coach the O-line, and paint the checkerboard silver and black...

But seriously, if Kiffin gets more than $3 million for his staff, he'll have an easier transition.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And Spurrier is a choirboy, at least compared to the typical SEC coach. He and Fulmer and Nutt (and Saban, at Michigan State) were among those turning in Bama in the 90s. I think Sly Croom and Spurrier have been the snitches the past few years, from what I've heard.

6. sg86

sg86 Member

Agreed. I mean the guy had the worst job in the NFL. You can't really judge him solely on that. Especially when he was a main contributor to USC's mini-dynasty run.

7. Mizzougrad96

Most people thought he did a pretty good job all things considered in Oakland. He impressed a lot of people around that league.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'll third this. With the way everything played out in Oakland, he's shown he's got some backbone, and even though it's not Southern Cal, I think his energy and youth will pay off well in recruiting. I don't think this is the mistake people are making it out to be.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Saban wasn't a "wow" hire at LSU. I remember doing a reaction story and hearing a lot of "Who?"

Turned out pretty well. Two SEC championships and a national championship at a place that had eight losing seasons in the previous 11.

This is certainly not a "wow" hire. But it's too early to call it a failure.

10. Mizzougrad96

I'd almost guarantee that Tennessee has a top 10 recruting class this year.

11. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

From Kiffin's press conference:

“As far as recruiting, we’ve hit the ground running. I took the test a few days before I got hired here so that we could do that."

Reportedly, he took the test at Cal last Monday in their compliance office.

12. sg86

sg86 Member

I love how Spurrier got snippy already though. There's something in the water in Gainesville that turns coaches into pricks.

Draft saved Draft deleted