1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the Pac-10, Lane Kiffin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 12, 2010.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's not what he was doing. He was placing restrictions for the sole purpose of affecting what they could do with the interview after they had it.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That still makes no sense. This is cause-and-effect, flow-of-time, basic laws of the universe shit here. Seriously.

He was denying the TV cameras the opportunity to get what they wanted. Of course he wasn't placing restrictions on what they could do after they had it, because he wasn't going to allow them to have it.

You: Can I have that sandwich?
    Me: No.
    You: Why are you telling me what I can do with my own sandwich?
    Me: It's not your sandwich.
    You: I can't believe you are placing restrictions on what I can do with my own sandwich!
    Me: It isn't your sandwich.
    You: It will be after you give it to me.
    Me: I'm not going to give it to you.
    You: Stop restricting what I can do with my own sandwich!

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are two different things.

But your terminology is horrible. "Telling a reporter what information he can and can't have" makes it sound like the person is a sheep, not a reporter.

Regardless, this wasn't a source playing something close to the vest or not revealing something. They weren't hiding anything from the cameras. They asked them to voluntarily not record. There's a big difference between that and not revealing information because you don't want the reporter to have it.

In that regard, both of those things--agreeing to get a story approved before it runs or voluntarily restricting what you record based on the coach's demands--amount to voluntarily agreeing to demands that let the coach control what appears in print or on the news.

You are essentially agreeing to be his PR firm and giving up your independence.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He has something you want. He doesn't have to give it to you. I'm not sure how else I could phrase it.

Well, I disagree with the conclusion, but at least this is coherent and logical.

Draft saved Draft deleted