1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the Digital World?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Sep 5, 2012.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'll say this: My story count has roughly doubled out of necessity this year. And I'm doing more blogging, obit writing, Facebook and Twitter updates than ever.

You just learn to do things really quickly, I guess. It's not much more a drag on my time.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've made this point before, but I'll bring it up again: as a TV guy, the one place we compete head to head with newspapers is on our websites. Newspapers want to stress video? Please, yes. We will kick your asses on video-related stuff.

Newspapers have bigger staffs filled with writers who are used to writing for print/web, as opposed to TV writers who are for more accustomed to writing for broadcast. That's where the strength lies. If you're a newspaper in a TV market and you're putting any of your resources into video, you're nuts. You will not win there, and you will waste a lot of time that should be spent playing to your strengths.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Which is why, when possible, papers should be partnering with TV stations and running combined websites.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

A lot of work for very little pay.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Cosmo: Until maybe a year ago, I never watched them, and now I rarely do.

The reason I do not take them, though the boss would love it, is the editing time.

You are right in everything you are saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted