1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the Dallas Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Cotton Bowl is moving to JerryWorld this year and starting next year will be played on or around January 6. It's no longer a New Year's Day game.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually it will be three bowls in the Dallas area because of the Armed Forces Bowl at TCU.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Why would the bowls that are a member of the BCS want to add another bowl? I keep hearing people state that the Cotton Bowl will make it into the BCS now that it's in Jerry World, but I fail to see the logic that supports the notion that the 4 existing BCS bowls would suddenly want to split the revenues five ways.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Cotton Bowl Athletic Association runs the Cotton Bowl game at JerryWorld.

The CBAA has nothing to do with the Dallas Football Classic or the Cotton Bowl stadium at Fair Park.

The new bowl game is a stand-alone entity.

EDIT TO ADD: The CBAA never owned or operated the Cotton Bowl stadium. That facility is run by the city of Dallas and the State Fair of Texas Board.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

That has zero to do with my post, which was in response to Dan's message.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. While it would seem to be a natural fit, expecting post-season college football decisions to be made with anything but money in mind is futile.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bravo!

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is much, much better than a playoff.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Someday we'll get to the point of not having enough .500-plus teams to fill all the slots.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

About 4-5 bowls ago.

A bowl is now a reward for being mediocre, not being good. The other side of that is not making a bowl means, wow, you must be awfully not good.
    6-6 getting a team into a bowl should be outlawed.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think that will stop them. You look at some of the payouts for some of these bowl games and it's less than offering yourself up as a sacrificial lamb at The Big House or The Swamp. There are always a few 6-6 teams from non-BCS bowls that stay home during bowl season - now they'll get their chance too.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Maybe when we stop getting new cable sports channels. When there were fewer networks there were fewer bowls, the proliferation of these bullshit bowls has been driven by cable networks desperate for some sort of post-season football to fill those empty December nights. That's the only appetite being fed here and it's the only thing keeping most of these bowls afloat.

Draft saved Draft deleted