1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the @#$1@!4 newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 12, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Is it acceptable to cuss in your shop?

It's pretty much OK here. After 5:30 I turn into a fucking sailor. Every other word is shit, fuck, ass or damnit.

Have I lost my fucking mind?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nope.

and they let people curse probably too much at my shop.

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I only ask because I haven't met that many "clean-mouthed" sportswriters. Or thin sportswriters.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

our newsfolk are pretty surly as well.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I say "fuck" a lot on deadline. Wish I didn't, but I do.

No one seems to mind. They know we're all getting screwed in a sweatshop.

Wish it wasn't, but it is.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Well, I know I'm a fat motherfucker.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I still cuss quite a bit, but nowhere near how much I did back before I had kids.

Little fuckers really toned down my fuckin' swearing, bitches.

8. captzulu

captzulu Member

One thing I liked about the newsroom atmosphere is that you can drop a barrage of four-letter words and nobody would blink. When I first moved out of newspapers, I've found myself having to consciously restrain my tongue. It's funny though. I still do agate for a newspaper every now and then, and when I go into the newsroom, the foul language comes back to me so easily.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Threadjack.

The subject title reminded me of the TV reporter who mistakenly welcomed viewers to the cross-town station she worked at before. Happens a lot, right? Problem was, she thought she was off-air and off-mic when they were going to the first break and she said, "Well, I guess I really fucked that up."

I guess they went to commercial quicker at her old stop, too. They didn't ask her back.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fuckin' pussies.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I have three "little fuckers."
    I think when they're born, the doctors slip in a restrictor plate on the father's tongue.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe the night crews can get away with more. When I'm in a newsroom during daylight hours nowadays, if you let out a good "fuck" or "shit," some tight-assed bitch (male or female) from features or business is going to have you written up for some sort of harassment. Or some young fart is going to have a near-heart attack.

Newsrooms used to be a lot more fun, with cussing, ass-chewings, stuff being thrown. But most I've been in lately might as well be insurance offices.

Draft saved Draft deleted