1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome To Extortion, Texas.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 11, 2009.

1. That's a good story from the San Antonio paper.
    And AQB is dead right. This goes way beyond the cops. Obviously, the 80-year old (!) mayor's getting a piece, and you;ve got to figure the town fathers cooked up this scheme and thought nobody would ever notice.
    Hope there's anough Motel 6 rooms nearby for the upcoming DOJ task force.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

there's a "black spring break"? Last I checked,the money black folks use is green......your cousin is a f*cked up person.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, there was. Trust me, unless you were inebriated or sold T-shirts or tattoos, you didn't want to be in town during White Spring Break, Black Spring Break or Bike Week.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Spring Break in Daytona is not what it used to be, what with MTV and BET taking their college spring break events elsewhere and all.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Too late. Jesse and Al's already got them booked.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That would be Vidor, I believe.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

From the S.A. article, it appears Tenaha is hardly alone in this. Any poor, small town must find this pretty tempting. Heck, just the fact there is no expressway in East Texas from Texarkana to Brownsville gives a lot of towns an opportunity to pull this. (I guess I would have driven through Tenaha when I was driving a moving fan back and forth from the Midwest to Corpus Christi.)

Tenaha is on Google Maps Street View, just in case you want evidence on how poor and how small it is.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed, the San Antonio Express piece was more informative. That assett forfeiture law has got to be one of the most ill-considered invitions to corruption ever enacted in this country, at least in terms of it breadth. That they can keep the seized property of people never actually charged and convicted is unreal to me. I'd love to know how the courts have squared that with Constitution's due process protections.

And notice that guy has been Mayor for 54 years. I've got this mental picture of some Boss Hogg type character ruling over this town since the Jim Crowe days with little awareness that they've ended.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Interesting....I didn't realize the HSB's had a different spring break week. And, yeah....I want no part of any spring break week, didn't even go when I was in college.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The schools don't necessarily have a different spring break, there's just one week a year in Daytona Beach that's known as Black Spring Break. It draws African-Americans (not just college students) from all over.

11. In my day, spring break constituted whatever regional alma mammy was playing in that year. Hey, compared to Milwaukee, Dayton was Cancun.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Sorry, didn't get back to this thread with a link. Thanks to whomever posted it.

The main north-south highway in East Texas is US 59, and this stuff has been going on a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Terror-Highway-59-Steve-Sellers/dp/093201206X

Draft saved Draft deleted