1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome To Extortion, Texas.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 11, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Whose take are you talking about? The Texas media or the LA Times?

2. Got some of the Texas links, FTH? Because this story fascinates me.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm just stunned when I hear that shit like this still goes on in parts of this country, and that we have police that believe they can actually get away with this.

And no surprise that they used the assett forfeiture law intended for drug traffickers as the excuse. Just another example of how our "war on drugs" legislation enables police corruption and overreach.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This one goes even higher than the police though.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This was the basis of an old Rockford Files epsiode I just watched.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The sheriff used to to this about 15-20 years ago in Daytona Beach (any minority with any money on the highway was assumed to be toting drug money) until the Supreme Court made them stop.

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Not shocked in the least, unfortunately. Reminds me a little of one of my favorite books, "Praying For Sheetrock."

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I have a cousin-by-marriage who uses the n-word and closes his little shop during Black Spring Break in Daytona because he can't stand to have blacks in his shop. Me, if I owned a shop, I'd only hate to have people with no money in it. So that doesn't surprise me that the yokels up there would do something like this.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

San Antonio Express-News first broke the story.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Property_seizures_seen_as_piracy_.html

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Ark-La-Tex is a terrestrial Bermuda Triangle of Bad Things. I really hated it when my dad lived in Shreveport.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Isn't there some city near Beaumont that was doing something along these lines too? Or, at the very least, is infamous for pulling folks over for Driving While Black.

Never About Race of course.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

It is that, wi. Google "Dog Men" and see what you get. It's like a step back in time.

Draft saved Draft deleted