1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome Mr. Mussina

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pedro = Jack Morris. Dominant for a decade, needed to be dominant for 12 or 14.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

For the love of piss. Morris was not dominant for a decade.

And I'll make a bet of your choosing that Pedro makes the Hall of Fame on his first ballot.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I dunno, Zeke can be pretty twink

ie

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

[​IMG]

5. deadliner

deadliner Member

Amen to that.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love Jack Morris more than most. GREAT big game pitcher. But jeez, he was not dominant the way Pedro was. Pedro was overpowering, threw pitches that looked like frisbees that had batters spinning in circles trying to hit them and invented pitches in the middle of games. Unfortunately, that kind of torque on an arm attached to a 5' 11", 170 pound body was not a good thing and his durability limited his ability to put up ridiculously huge numbers. But even with the abomination that was this season, his ERA is below 3 for his career. That is unreal in this era. He was virtually unhittable at his best and his best encompassed quite a few seasons.

On an earlier question... 300 wins is an antiquated milestone. Guys don't pitch on 3 or 4 day schedules anymore. It's why you don't see as many 20 game winners. Starters don't get as many starts per season with a 5-man rotation. For anyone to reach 300 wins anymore, they have to pitch well into their 40s and be ridiculously durable. The Hall of Fame shouldn't just be reserved for players who can play for 22 years.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

300 is antiquated in the sense of the pitchers with 300 or more wins, 23 players, 7 of them started their careers in the 1800's including Cy Young.
    Waller Johnson, Eddie Plank, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Christy Matthewson, and Lefty Grove all pitched before WWII and the majority of their career were pre-1930's.

That's 12 pitchers before modern times out of 23.

Only Early Wynn and Warren Spahn won 300 while pitching in the 40s-60s, exclusively. And of the players who lived through WWII and missed seasons, only Bob Feller(266) and Red Ruffing(273) were close to winning 300 and missed time because of serving in the Armed Forces.

Maddux, Clemens, Carlton, Ryan , Sutton, Neikro, Perry, Seaver and Glavine all have won their 300 games in modern times with 5 man rotations.
    Only Randy Johnson has a chance of active players to reach 300.

I agree that the Hall of Fame shouldn't be reserved for pitchers who lasted 20+ years and pitched into their 40's. The HOF seems to have lowered their standards for position players compared to the more stringent criteria for pitchers.

If Robin Roberts, Fergie Jenkins, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Jim Palmer, Carl Hubbell, Whitey Ford and Juan Marichal are in, AND DESERVEDLY SO, Jim Kaat, Blyleven, Jack Morris and Tommy John also deserve entry without a ticket.

If Pedro, what about Pettitte who has about the same number of wins in 3 less seasons and who has 14-9 post season record.
    And as long as your talking about Pedro, Mussina has pitched about 2 more seasons than Martinez but has 56 more wins, was much more durable and dependable.

8. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

No one will ever blame a bad start on a pre-game memorial for a man that dies. For that Mussina should be in the Hall.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

you can't possibly believe this

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If winning one Game 7 got you into the HOF then Jack Morris would be a first-ballot selection. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series is still the great WS game I've seen in my lifetime.

But no, Morris is in no way a Hall of Famer.

11. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

And as long as your talking about Pedro, Mussina has pitched about 2 more seasons than Martinez but has 56 more wins, was much more durable and dependable.

He also had 54 more losses, if you want to play that game.

When I think of Mussina in his prime, I think he was very good, but not great. When I think of Pedro in his prime, I think about how as soon as the Sox scored one run, it felt like definite victory. He was that good.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. Mussina has one full season in his career with an ERA under 3.00, with a 2.54 mark in 1992. Martinez has a 2.91 ERA for his career, including two seasons with an ERA under 2.00. He also has three Cy Young awards. Mussina has none.

Mussina has been more durable, but that's about it, which is the reason he has 56 more victories. Mussina has made 136 more starts in his career than Martinez.

Draft saved Draft deleted