1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome Mr. Mussina

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Outstanding.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'd take Mussina over Blyleven, but the truth is, I wouldn't vote for either one of them.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So, let me get this straight. Since there likely will never again be a 300-game winner, does that mean there never again be a pitcher worthy of the HOF?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Mussina is the ultimate bubble candidate. I'd vote for him. I think he has a slightly better case than Glavine, for example, and he's a lock.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This "never-again-a-300-winner" crap is just that. Crap. They've been saying that since Don Sutton.

Nobody projected Maddux or Glavine to be 300 winners. Whatever. Nobody predicted Randy Johnson to be a 300 winner and the fucker is 5 wins away. Moose is a 50-50 shot to get there, but I wouldn't bet the farm against it.

Pitchers aren't getting 40 starts like they did in my boy Warren Spahn's day but they're making up for it by pitching deep into their 40s.

Bottom line is, a given pitcher has a set number of starts in his arm and he'll make them as long as he gets the opportunity.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Who was the last starting pitcher without 300 wins to get in the HOF?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

More than three starting pitchers a decade should make the HOF.

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

That's an interesting question. I believe it was Jim Bunning in 1996. Mussina has a better portfolio than Bunning.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Every eligible pitcher who has won 300 is in the Hall.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Assuming you're not counting Eckersley (2004), Fergie Jenkins (1991) was the last starter voted in by the BBWAA with less than 300 wins. He was 284-226. But he had seven 20-win seasons -- six in a row.

Bunning got in with the veteran's committee.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Pedro & Johnson wil cruise in.

Draft saved Draft deleted