1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome Mr. Mussina

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Sep 29, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Metrodome was first in use in 1982. When Morris was in his prime, it was absolutely a ridiculous hitter's park.

Fenway is a bandbox. It's been a great hitter's park since it was renovated in 1932. See for yourself: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/attend.shtml

Tiger Stadium was 440 to center field. Yes, it was friendly to straightaway right and left, and down the lines, but it was a pasture out there. Lots and lots of balls died out there by the flagpole. All in all, it played better to pitchers.

Like I said, you're entitled to your own opinion. But the perception of dominance, based on the facts, is wrong. He came up HUGE, Hall of Fame huge, in Game 7 of one memorable World Series. He was very average the rest of the time in the postseason.

A 3.80 postseason ERA is indisputable.

2. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Your assertion about left-handed hitters at Fenway needs elaboration. Yes, it may be difficult to hit one out to right-center, but I have seen with my own eyes several balls that were not at all well-struck find their way inside the "Pesky Pole." My point is if a left-handed hitter pulls one right down the line, it's not difficult at all to homer at Fenway.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

take that lame shit back, now.

4. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

What if Mussina hangs around a couple more years, but only makes it to 290? 285? What then? What if the Yankees turn it around (fairly unlikely), and he finally gets a ring?

I say he hangs around the ballot for a decade or so, and then finally makes it in Sutter/Gossage style in a lean year.

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I hate when someone gets in because it is a "lean Year." Either someone deserves to be in, or they don't. If someone only gets in because it is a weak class, then they don't deserve to be in. If it takes years of debate to determine one's worthiness, then they should not be in.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Tony Perez rule.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

It is 302 down the RF line, but gets deep very quickly. Two of the most successful hitters in Red Sox history were Yaz and Ted Williams, but they used the whole field.

Draft saved Draft deleted