1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome Back to Society Plax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Burress to be released today:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/05/agent-plaxico-burress-to-leave-jail-on-monday/1

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the most ridiculous prison sentences ever...

Guys serve less time for vehicular manslaughter than Plax did for shooting himself in the leg.

I would have thought 90 days was too harsh for something like this.

If you or I go into a club with a gun and do what Plax did, it's probably 50-50 that we wouldn't serve a day in jail and a virtual guarantee that we wouldn't have to serve two years.

The guy is an idiot for carrying a gun into a club, but the punishment definitely did not fit the crime.

3. Agree 100 percent with Mizzou. It was an intersection of overzealous gun laws with overzealous prosecutor and a system that wants to make an example out of a celebrity.

I would say had Plaxico done this in 90 percent of the country he wouldn't have served a day in jail.

And frankly had his name been Joe Smith, not Plaxico Burress, he might not have served a day in New York.

4. Mizzougrad96

I just find it completely offensive that Plax could have gotten drunk, hopped into a car and killed someone and he probably would have served less time than he did.

5. Boom_70

The DA and Judge were Pats fans.

6. Mizzougrad96

"Making an example out of him" would have been a 90-day sentence that he could serve during the off-season. I actually think that would have been too harsh.

Serving 20 months for what he did is just insane.

7. Boom_70

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He spent way too much time in prison for what he did, and he should make a ton of money once the lockout is over.

9. Mizzougrad96

Well, we know Andy Reid loves ex-cons.

If he didn't, family dinners would be awkward. :D

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ouch ... didn't expect a comment like that from you, Mizzou. You're always very protective of your kids.

It was funny, but definitely unexpected. :)

11. Mizzougrad96

My kids are young. It'll be at least another few years until they're smuggling heroin into prison, although I've told them that's preferrable to going into journalism... :D

It's just a joke. I like Andy Reid a lot...

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Well played. :D

I know you were just kidding and I laughed, I was just surprised to see that joke from you because you strike me as so protective of your kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted