1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weis fake punt?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What a whiner. Sure there was no point to it and Notre Dame could have saved it for another time. Hell they probably should have. But when you spend a column crying about it days after, well, that's weak. A fake punt is one of the last things Penn State should be worried about, and anyone writing about it is a stretch. Weak.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Blech.

Penn State is "better than it looked" with a "fast, tenacious" defense?

If Penn State is so good but was apparently outcoached so badly (that seems to be what the columnist is saying) perhaps the writer could have come up with another topic for a column.

Anyway, FWIW, if I am down 27-3 with 6:10 to play in the third quarter, I would rather have the opponent fake punt near midfield.

If you stop it, you have that much more of a chance to get back into the game.

4. Toolbox

Toolbox Member

What I love is the fact that JoePa called the play "a heck of a call," but Collins still said that it's still no excuse to run the fake punt. Penn State was just outmatched that day and it showed. I agree that ND probably shouldn't have run the fake punt, that's not a bad play to run at that point because it causes every team they play from now on to think twice on a punt block because maybe the back has the ball.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Weis certainly is an arrogant jackass in love with the smell of his own farts, but if you don't like people fake punting against you, stop them.

::) ::)

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Isn't watching for the fake one of the first things they teach you on special teams. Shit up here whenever the return team goes out someone always yells "watch for the fake!"

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

To be fair to the writer, the column appeared only two days after the game.

Exactly. When you're playing a competitive sport, you play it to win. If the score gets run up in the process, well, that's life.

If you're on the losing team and you don't like it, either get better or quit. Real simple.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Allow me to wish a giant batch of canker sores on both Charlie Weiss and any bitchy Penn State fans who may have agreed with this column.The fake punt was a totally acceptable call. But Charlie Weiss is still a toad.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

All's fair, right?

So the next time Miami or anyone who is pounding sand against ND blocks a punt with only 10 players or throws deep late we won't hear any whining from H.T.T. U, right?

Of course, now Lloyd Carr has one more thing to think about and that's always dangerous.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

wait a second. Does that mean I'm arrogant?

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

PSU alum and unabashed fangirl here. (Hell, my cellphone rings "Fight On State".) But while I didn't exactly enjoy watching my Lions get their collective asses handed to them, that playcall didn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that it worked.

You nailed it, Starman.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Of course not. You only light your farts.

Draft saved Draft deleted