1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird obserrvations on the NYC subway system... maybe it's nothing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 15, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There are frequently cops in heavy gear and military personnel in subway stations, but today it just seemed particularly heavy. At Broadway/Nassau in lower Manhattan they had a full detail out, in the riot gear with the semi-automatic weapons and the German Sheppard dogs barking away as people walked by. Then in a less heavily trafficked station in midtown Manhattan there were two soldiers (Army?) patrolling the platform. I've seen them out before and this is not totally uncommon, but something about today and how intense the cops at Broadway/Nassau seemed just made my spider senses tingle. I am not sure how I expect anyone to respond to this thread, but I figured I'd throw it on here. I have been somewhat desensitized to it since 2001, but there is something uncomfortable about soldiers with semi-automatic weapons in Grand Central Station or Penn Station or on a subway platform.

2. KG

KG Active Member

Maybe they are doing some heavier training today.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Maybe there is a code orange.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Die Hard 3... the Germans are coming to rob the Federal Reserve... someone tipped them off.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu -- a buddy of mine is pretty high up in the NY National Guard and he does a bunch of anti-terror stuff on the transportation system in NYC. He told me in the past that they routinely put heavier patrols at random crowded subway stations to gain familiarity with likely targets. Doesn't mean that there wasn't a specific threat today, but it very well could be nothing.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Nothing big. Just that the end is near. Other than that, another day in NYC. I often wonder if those guns are really loaded.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Brett Favre must have been on the subway.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He hasn't even learned the Jets' plays. You think he is bothering to learn the NYC subway system?

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You're gonna feel bad about making light of this situation when the Cloverfield monster starts destroying the city.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They're protecting the tracks from deranged Lehman brokers.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe John Rocker was in town?

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

How else do you handle New Jersey commuters?

Draft saved Draft deleted