1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird damn basketball finish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fourth and 8, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Friend of mine was telling me about the 2A girls championship game in Oklahoma. With 0.7 seconds left, Walters guard hits a two from the left wing and is fouled giving her team a one-point lead and the apparent win. She goes to the line to make it a two-point game but wait. An official whistles the coach/and or players from the Walters team for stepping onto the court amid the excitement. He assesses a technical. Now, the girl at the line converts the 3-point play. The technical is served at the other end and the girl for Pocola High School makes the first one, then misses the second. With less than a second left, Walters can sniff the championship.

But as we know, Pocola gets the ball out of bounds on the technical. Throw in comes from midcourt, player sneaks behind a quick screen from 40 feet out and - bottom! Pocola comes from behind thanks to the technical to win by one.

The Daily Oklahoman has a clip of this game's finish. Unfucking real.

http://newsok.com/article/3214074/1205048294

2. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

sorry, here's the video
    http://www.newsok.tv/?bctid=1449613731&bclid=1078545323

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That was just painful to watch. But good ending.

4. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Another one

5. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Well, at least he can feel good about making it. The other situation, the team lost because of its own misdoing.

6. statrat

statrat Member

On the video of the girls game, how can the ref's call a T for players being out on the court when the clock had run out? According to the clock, the game was over. It looked like they put .7 back up on the clock to me after the foul. That was the way it looked from the video to me at least.

7. Berry Tramel calls it the greatest finish in the history of sport.

http://newsok.com/article/3214253/1205124590

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

i saw the clock stop at 0.7

9. statrat

statrat Member

I probably just saw it wrong then.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

The refs at UCLA-Cal could learn from this ...

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think the "T" is bullshit. You can't make that call with the game on the line like that. Especailly in a state playoff game. That's why refs have discretion — and also why you hardly see a foul called on a last-second shot unless a) the player is clearly hacked, or b) it's a homer call.

"Ticky-tack" doesn't begin to describe it.

12. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Wow. You can't make that call. The celebration was happening right in front of the team's bench. It isn't as if the girl ran to the other side of the court. That's just awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted