1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird correction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Jan 22, 2007.

1. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

The "reader comments" connected to this story on the Journal Advocate Web site have gone from zero to five today.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You left five posts?

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Well, that's practically a mandate.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

FIVE!

Half of Sterling, Colorado must have posted.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

all the way to five? damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sarcasm very much intended)

6. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

Intentions? Hey, I'm not the one who started this thread. Or is Perry White in on my diabolical plan?

7. dwychwder

dwychwder New Member

Anthony is really young. Not sure about his formal education, but this is definitely his first stop out of college. Not sure what his experience was in college, but he is definitely raw. I don't think it makes sense to demand that he gets fired because of a screw up. The editor of the Journal-Advocate is very capable and knows what he is doing. Also, any uprising by a message board made up of people who don't actually subscribe to the paper won't affect his decision to fire/not fire. The kid screwed up, there is no doubt about that. However, we've all been duped one way or another in this business, especially when we were rookies.

From what I hear, Anthony is really enthusiastic about his job, and believe me when I say that enthusiasm is the main thing you need to work in that area. As time goes along he'll get better (He's been there only since football season.) But for now, SportsJournalists.com should probably cut him some slack and let him learn from his mistakes.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

On the Web site are photos Anthony took at the game, so it unlikely he took a phoner. Wonder if Anthony eavesdropped on the coach talking to an assistant or parent, and quoted her from that.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Thanks for checking in Anthony.

10. dwychwder

dwychwder New Member

No problem, thanks for having me.

No, actually I am not Anthony, but I do know the area and I remember what it was like when I was just starting out. I just think that we have all made mistakes, though maybe not on this level. I am sure there was a serious discussion between Anthony and his editor, and it will probably be left at that.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I guarantee he learned something here, certainly.

Before places like this, this would have been between he, his editors and a few thousand readers. Now he has to deal with us, too.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted