1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird correction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Jan 22, 2007.

1. runningman

runningman New Member

I'll combined two threads into one. Yes, I'm looking for a job. I also just submitted my stuff to The Journal-Advocate. Call me an opportunist (or other things) if you will, but that's an error that should not happen.

2. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

I'm a reader of the Journal Advocate. I read the story in question online and, using my real name, made my opinion known via their "reader comments" feature.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Good for you buddy.

4. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Out of curiosity, I used the search engine on the paper's site to see if I could find the actual article where the "poor reporting" happened. I believe this is it:

http://www.journal-advocate.com/articles/2007/01/08/news/sports/sports1.txt

If the webpage is any indication, "poor reporting" isn't the only thing that needs fixing ... note the "comback" in the subhead and various other errors in the article itself.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

You've got a funny name, German.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Way to go. I, however, am not a reader of the Journal Advocate.

You asked us to take action: "SportsJournalists.com outrage needs to be directed toward the Journal Advocate..."

Which is it?

7. subhead

subhead Member

Not to pile on, but there's plenty to edit in that story.

Also, this is the only quote from the coach mentioned:
    “Seems like we are just going to keep playing until the district tournament and then see if we can make noise there,” Peetz girls head coach Kristen Hamil said. “It doesn’t seem like the girls want it right now.”

Any chance the reporter got that quote, printed it, then the coach contacted them and said, "Hey, I didn't want that in, it was off the record. My parents are mad at me," and the reporter said "I'll say you didn't say it because you've been really nice to me." Whew. Any chance?

No matter what, I'm for the firing. Just seems an odd quote to make up. Maybe the reporter is too stupid to realize both are lousy and which looks worse.

I don't think this is the case, just thought it's a possibility.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

bad, bad mistake no matter how you slice it.

But, just from a very brief investigation, it looks like Anthony is a one-man shop. They probably can't afford to get rid of him until the slow season. :-\

9. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

Huh? Which is what?

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know what just occurred to me? I wonder if he got somebody on the phone -- and it turned out it wasn't her, just somebody who said it was, playing a joke or whatever. And she then called and said, "Um, Anthony ... "

He doesn't say he made it up; he says he wrote it based on "false information." A little open door there ...

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Good point, SF.

I wonder if the error is the result of taking a phoner, thinking it was the coach calling in the information and then quoting the assistant/scorekeeper asked by the head coach to phone in the box score because she didn't want to.

Because I know when I was at a small paper and the phone rang with "I want to report a score" on the other line, it's easy to think it's the coach doing the calling when it really isn't. And if your paper's style is to have a 4-5 inch report of the game with a quote in there ...

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You wrote...
    If Anthony Arroyo fabricated a quote, SportsJournalists.com outrage needs to be directed toward the Journal Advocate of Sterling, Colo., to fire this guy (if he already hasn't been fired).

Then...
    Sure we can get involved. Right below the "CORRECTION to Jan. 8 Journal-Advocate Sports section" is a space for "reader comments." Tell them what you think.

Then, It was pointed out to you that's not the function of this board...
    I'm a reader of the Journal Advocate. I read the story in question online and, using my real name, made my opinion known via their "reader comments" feature.

---------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what your problem is (other than the elephant in the room).
    Your only four posts are on a thread about some obscure high school error in some obscure paper calling for immediate action by a site with over 6,000 members.
    We know Young Anthony fucked up. Young Anthony knows he fucked up (not sure he knows the degree of fuck up).
    I'm confused as to your intentions.

Draft saved Draft deleted