1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird correction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.journal-advocate.com/articles/2007/01/09/news/sports/sports1.txt

http://www.regrettheerror.com/2007/01/fabricated_quot.html

2. poor reporting? the guy made up quotes and is apologizing for poor reporting?

and he still has a job?

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If this were my reporter we would be typing in the past tense.
    Inexcusable.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the correction a 1.

I have seen stuff like this happen before where someone quotes an assistant thinking it's the head coach for example. If something like that happened, it needs to be clearer.

If this guy made up quotes, his boss should be writing the correction and explaining it.

5. fishwrapper

I agree Ace. But, he said he made it up. It couldn't be more clear. This wasn't mistaken.
    And, look at the URL. Not evidence, but it says "fabricated_quot.html"
    Just found that to be a little funny. Funny, not the word, but you get it...

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Paging Mr. Glass ... Mr. Stephen Glass.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It also says "to quote her on false information is simply poor reporting" which though admittedly true seems deliberately obtuse. Not to mention sounds like it was written by a second grader.

8. fishwrapper

Well, you're right. Problem is, his definition of "reporter" and the rest of profession may not be exactly by line.

9. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

If Anthony Arroyo fabricated a quote, SportsJournalists.com outrage needs to be directed toward the Journal Advocate of Sterling, Colo., to fire this guy (if he already hasn't been fired).

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I might agree with your sentiment in terms of a just punishment, but this isn't anything we need to be involved with except to discuss it here, I don't think.

11. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

Sure we can get involved. Right below the "CORRECTION to Jan. 8 Journal-Advocate Sports section" is a space for "reader comments." Tell them what you think.

12. fishwrapper

SF_Express is correct. This is for discussion. This is a "Journalism Topic."
    What happens to Young Anthony is up his editor, the Journal Advocate (,its union?) and the readers.
    Not me because I post anonymously on a postboard.

Draft saved Draft deleted