1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird ad in Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bubbler, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Took the family to the Great American Blast Furnace for a Reds game on Sunday. Being house-poor, that was our vacation. Anyhow, I picked up the Enquirer and there was an ad layout I'd never seen before on an inside sports page.

It was a tire ad (what else), but it was placed in the middle of the page, with copy surrounding it on all sides. It was shaped like a tire, so two stories ran on each side, with a runaround around the ad itself. Think of it almost as a package item, only it was an ad.

It was ugly, just a standard-fare black-and-white ad, but I'm guessing it cost the tire company a little more for the placement.

Anyone seen/dealt with this kind of ad?

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yep; that's called an "island" ad. Very common on stocks pages, and in European newspapers.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The last few months, we've had to run a "shadow ad" from a local business on an agate page or with MLB boxes.

It's the company's logo, but it's placed BEHIND the copy on the page (the black/white ad is at like 30% gray). First couple times we ran it, they hadn't worked all the kinks out and so it basically made both the agate text and the logo look indistinguishable from each other. Now, it's better but I can't imagine any reader is looking at that ad when they're scanning box scores. Maybe they are -- it's been a few months, and they're still paying big money for it. It looks like crap, but obviously ... that's not the point.

4. donaugust

donaugust Member

I'm occasionally involved in some systems-type discussions at my paper and this is becoming more and more popular. Advertisers want this stuff and if you can at all support it technologically, you better get working on it.

The watermark ad (what buckweaver is referring to) could become a stock tables staple (for those who still run them). Odd shapes? Floating circles? Triangles? Yeah.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My local paper runs all kinds of funky-shaped ads that require text to bob and weave around it. I think it's extremely distracting, but of course it gets my eye on the ad. But it only makes me hate the product it pushes.

This is a Gannett paper that will do ANYTHING to squeeze more ad revenue. They also run an inch-tall ad stripped across the bottom of every section including 1A, though I've noticed in the past week that the 1A ad is more like two inches high now. I swear they would sell space inside the "O" in the city name on the nameplate if someone wanted it.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Headlines with the King.

[​IMG]

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Don't forget our convergence partners.

[​IMG]

9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

We're about to start using those ads at my shop, except we call them "cascade" ads. The Louisville paper had them all over their special section for the Kentucky Derby. It's a little odd, and there might be some confusion between what is editorial and what is advertising, but overall, anything that draws eyes to a paper is fine by me. I consider them the pop-up adds of newspapers.

At least they aren't those awful post-it note ads some papers stick on the front page.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My aforementioned home paper has those too. Those look like a giant pain in the ass for everyone but those cashing the checks.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not that bad. A machine rolls them onto the front coming off the press. And all it covers is part of the flag.

And I ain't bitching about revenue streams. Anything that'll keep our staff manned-up without layoffs is fine by me ... short of whoring out our agate clerk.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Damn. There goes my employee of the month award for suggesting new revenue streams.

Draft saved Draft deleted