1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weir out of Stars on Ice for not being "family friendly?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Mar 12, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I thought about going first name, but figured the "on Ice" and the not family friendly part would tip you off. ;)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's easy to understand. That does not mean I like the decision or agree with it, but I understand it. He's probably too over the top and flamboyant and they're worried that could hurt attendance.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He is a Canuckistani... there's the confusion

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Johnny Weir -- he's gaytroversial!

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Compared to Toller Cranston who used to be a regular on these skating shows, Weir is John Wayne.

This has nothing to do with being "family friendly" but everything to do with homophobia.

6. imjustagirl

But if that's the case, JR, why was Galindo such a spotlighted part of the shows in the past (I looked, it's a younger group now)? It has to be something beyond the fact he is most likely gay.

Rudy wasn't exactly NOT flamboyant, so I don't think it's that. It might be PETA. It might be his reality show. I don't know. But I think it's gotta be something beyond "teh gay" that's keeping him off this tour.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But it's a better story if it's "teh gay".

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think putting out a statement that Weir is flakier than a croissant and not what Stars on Ice wants would have been an eminently fair and defensible thing for the organization to do. Throwing in the family friendly crap adds the elephant in the room.

9. imjustagirl

But that's the thing. They haven't even done that. That's what creeps me out, because it may all be much ado about nothing. Maybe his schedule doesn't work with it. I mean, he did say he was taking time off from skating. So maybe the "source" is just someone trying to stir some shit up.

Someone needs to just come out and say "We don't want to have to have mink-lined hallways for Johnny to walk down, so we're going to pass" or "We prefer our men to not wear so many feathers" or "Johnny's schedule didn't fit with this year's tour. We look forward to watching him in his return to competitive skating" or something.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Good point. I gotta check my reading comprehension font.

11. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

This.

The dirty underbelly of this discussion is that it's okay to be gay, as long as you don't look or "act" gay.

12. KP

KP Active Member

funny that i am getting ads for Stars on Ice on this page.

Draft saved Draft deleted