1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weepin' Joe to NOLA: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 12, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

It's already public.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, except too many people here will not accept anything as an accurate record of history until someone publishes a document that says Bush planned, created and executed Hurricane Katrina, with the ability to make it hit exactly that same path with the intent of hurting as many blacks as possible. And, of course, none of the local politicians will be held accountable because they're of the persuasion that puts a (D) next to their names.

Meanwhile, ice storms decimated areas in the Great Plains in December, leaving many people with no power in winter for up to three weeks. And you don't even know about it because the networks don't think it's noteworthy because most of the people killed and suffering are white. And, of course, they're not incessantly crying about their plight and waiting for the government to save them.

It all falls right in line with my long-held belief: Those who wait for government to secure their prosperity and security are always left waiting for government to secure their prosperity and security. But it doesn't stop there. They always whine about the people who go out and take care of things for themselves as though they're evil because they're "rich" when most aren't. They're just self-sufficient, which to liberals is a sin.
    Just sayin'.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ton's fighting the paper tigers Hannity sets up.

Happy Hour must've started at 5.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's plenty more to be brought out.
    The main problem I have is that most of this is focused on going after the White House, which deserves a good portion of blame.
    However, this should be more than a gotcha moment for anti-bush partisans. There's a chance accomplish something here. FEMA has been broken, wasteful and an easy fraud mark.
    Further, the state and city are also very much at fault and should also be taken to task.
    The idea should be to expose and explore all of the mistakes and problems with the idea of fixing them and preventing them in the future.
    If the idea is just a gotcha on the White House, then the investigation would be a waste of money.

5. JackS

JackS Member

I disagree that there's much more (of consequence) to be brought out. Perhaps our opinions differ because I have imbibed virtually every book, article and television documentary on the topic. We know the problems, from the poor environmental decisions over the years to the subsequent incompetence, indifference, inaction, and impropriety. It's time to move forward and fix things, not look back and cast blame (the first opportunity to do that would have been to oust Nagin, which didn't happen).

I hate to agree with Old Tony, but short of "a document that says Bush planned, created and executed Hurricane Katrina, with the ability to make it hit exactly that same path with the intent of hurting as many blacks as possible" there's very little to be gained by an investigation.

6. There is such a thing as public responsibility. If Jack's opinion holds, then Congress has no oversight function at all, unless of course it can predict executive branch mal or non-feasance in advance.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, Buck, I was really careful to say "Too many people here" so as not to necessarily include you in that group. I don't assume you are but many are. In fact, I'll be glad to not count you in that group. You're too good to think that way. And I mean that. We haven't exactly corresponded much but I do consider you one of the upper-echelon posters here even though we have different political views.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And they will be, once those thousands of bodies surface.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wonder if impeaching lower-level officials in the executive, such as the incompetent Rice and Gonzales, might not be an effective tactic.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Lieberman is one of the biggest weasels in the world. He is SO damn in the pockets of Big Pharmaceuticals and other lobbyists, it's disgusting. I have no idea why the good citizens of CT voted for him. Behind Mitch McConnell, he might be my least-favorite Congressman.

11. JackS

JackS Member

Congress has an oversight function when mal or non-feasance is in question. In this case, there's no question. If you want to impeach Bush for Katrina, then impeach Bush for Katrina. You don't need any investigation to make your case.

Draft saved Draft deleted