1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weepin' Joe to NOLA: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 12, 2007.

1. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16585614/site/newsweek/

Johnny D, white courtesy phone, please.
    Thanks, Connecticut, and Joe Biden.
    Rubes.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hey, when you're busy cashing all those campaign contributions from the insurance and drug
    interests, who has time for Katrina?

Pandering, self-important turd.

He was put on ignore, a while back.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I wish Lieberman would go back to playing the dad on Alf. I've had it with him.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yuck.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He's not the only one with cold feet.

6. Small difference -- and I agree with you, D'hack, on the basic issue that the D's should be all over this one -- is that Weepin' Joe campaigned HARD on this oversight issue because he didn't want to campaign hard on the issue of oversight on the war of which he's grown so fond.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It kills me to say it, but there's nothing to be gained politically by championing the cause of New Orleans. You will hear, even from Louisiana natives, that Mississippi handled its affairs better (true in most cases), and you will hear that New Orleans is killing itself, one murder at a time, so why bother cleaning up a place that can't police itself -- or won't.

By now, uncovering what happened, who knew what, and when, and all the rest, is a history many people don't want to explore because they don't see much reason to look too closely at the present or future of New Orleans. I know a lot of people who are tired of talking about Katrina, and some of them think it's a shame she wasn't strong enough to finish the job she started.

As for Joe, he probably loved that column (in a Connecticut paper) that basically said people got what they deserved because they chose to live there.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think we need a surge to 20,000 more troops in New Orleans.

9. JD
    Shrewd and sad. However, government oversight in a case like this is vital to the whole country, not just NOLA.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Agreed, and that's the lesson for anyone who lives in Connecticut or California or Alaska or elsewhere in this country and thinks this kind of story has nothing to do with them.

11. JackS

JackS Member

In all seriousness, why even bother wasting time and money on an investigation? Turn over potentially embarrassing documents? As if everyone doesn't already know the government showed its incompetence and indifference in every way imaginable? It's already an embarrassment of the highest magnitude.

What's the point? Just rebuild and fix the (blatantly obvious) mistakes of the past.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Making every mistake, misstep and misjudgment public is part of making sure things are done correctly in the future.
    That includes federal bungling and the state's willful unpreparedness.

Draft saved Draft deleted