1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weekly sports editor, Richmond (Va.) Suburban Newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RichSuburbNews, Oct 2, 2007.

1. RichSuburbNews

RichSuburbNews New Member

This job hasn't been posted yet, but that should change pretty soon.

What I can tell you: this is a sports editor job (my job, to be specific) for the Mechanicsville Local and Goochland Gazette, which are weekly free-circulation newspapers owned by Media General in the suburbs of (wait for it) Richmond.

One-man show, but you have freelance help (particularly with photographers). Three core and two fringe high schools for Mechanicsville, one high school for Goochland. Goochland has won football and baseball titles in the last couple of years, and the Hanover County schools are good in softball, reasonably good in wrestling and getting better in football.

We've had a steady presence at Richmond's three races (two NASCAR, one IRL), because the track is within 10 minutes of the Mechanicsville office. I also began to ramp up coverage of Division III Randolph-Macon College, so my successor can continue that if they so desire. And Goochland produced Justin Verlander, so I've been to Washington and Baltimore in the last two years to do pieces on him.

PM me for further details, but I'll say that you can find worse newspapers in Virginia from which to draw a check.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Re: Weekly sports editor, Richmond Suburban Newspapers

where ya off to, Rich? what made ya leave?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've met this chap once or twice. He's a good fellow, and you'll be stepping into some big (figuratively and literally) shoes.

4. RichSuburbNews

Found a job at a new daily in my hometown. I had worked at daily newspapers for nine years before starting here, and I told my bosses that the long-range goal was to return to one.

5. Re: Weekly sports editor, Richmond Suburban Newspapers

A new daily? Where might that be -- just curious. You don't hear about new newspapers very much (at least I don't)...

6. RichSuburbNews

The job has been posted at jobs.mediageneral.com

Richmond Suburban Newspapers is looking for an energetic and self-motivated person to take charge of the sports sections of two growing free-distribution weekly newspapers.

The ideal candidate will enjoy covering local high school and recreational sports with the commitment they deserve, recognizing that our readers are excited about sports that involve themselves and their families.

College graduate. Two years experience in a weekly news setting or equivalent experience.

Open Until Filled

To Apply

Current RT-D and MG Employees: Download the Internal Application Form Forward completed form and resume to: RSN Talent Team Please note: you must be logged into the MG Network for these links to work

External Candidates: Click “apply online” button in this posting, complete the online application form, and use the "upload resume" feature to attach a single file that contains BOTH your resume and cover letter.
    Tech Skills:
    Hardware:
    PC, laptop, digital camera

Software:
    Microsoft Word, InDesign, Adobe Photoshop
    Job Skills:
    Ability to recognize and generate compelling sports stories. Able to maintain and coordinate the work of a resource group of free lance photographers and writers to supplement coverage.
    Minimum Education:
    Bachelor's Level Degree
    Mass communications preferred
    Minimum Experience:
    5 yrs. of experience.

Two years in a weekly news setting preferred.
    This Position Supervises:
    (no details)
    Schedule (Days & Times):
    Flexible, weekend work required Flexible - as needed

Draft saved Draft deleted