1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weekly global warming/climate change pissing match

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 29, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Connecticut is going to get up to 18 inches of snow today. During Halloween weekend. With 1.3 inches in Central Park, NYC has already had its biggest snowfall ever for this time of year. But noooooo nothing's wonky. Everything is perfectly normal.

(Hurry get in before the lock!)

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The 18 inches of snow in Connecticut at this time of year are records, right? Nothing like this has ever happpened?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They don't care. They're raping Mother Earth while waiting for their first-class seats to The Rapture.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not to this degree, anywhere near this early. Only thing close was a freak ten-inch dump in the CT
    Northern Foothills even EARLIER this month . . . in the late '80's, IIRC.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My problem with the global warming "debate" is that it takes on the characteristics of every politically charged discussion. Each side runs immediately to "The other side doesn't believe in/denies the existence of fill-in-the-blank issue." There is never any room for perspective. I agree that global warming exists and that it is harmful to the environment. But I do not agree with the Chicken Little Wing of the Democratic Party that the problem is solely man-made and capitalism should be punished for it. The solutions on the hard left would destroy the American economy (the same one those same people are so worried about when it comes to other issues), and the "It snowed today, so global warming is a crock" types on the hard right are just being purposefully ignorant. Basically, this big issue is like any big issue in the country today: The argument is what people are focused on, and the problem and realistic solutions for it gets shoved aside.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Goddamnit this type of reasoned debate isn't what I was trying to spark here!!!!!!! :D :D :D

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep, that was fair. There's been a measurable degree of growth on this board (among the survivors!) regarding political issues, and that's good.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Snow someplace today is weather. It has almost nothing to do with the larger topic of climate, which I think it's fair to say that almost no one on this board has the chops to grapple with. And I don't intend to be mean about that. But if you did, you wouldn't be in sports writing, you'd be off trying to win a Nobel Prize.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't need a Nobel Prize to know 18 inches of snow in Connecticut on Halloween weekend isn't normal.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

OK, have you seen the commercial for "Happy Feet Two"? Well, think about it, that movie NEVER HAPPENS if the corporate interests in this country continue to trash the polar icecaps with their oil-grabbin', ozone-depletin' ways. Forget the fact that this small independent project would never have been made. There would be no penguins!!!

(Trying my darndest to get this back on its intended track in spite of all this goody-goody rational thought and calm, measured rhetoric, BYH)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

1987... 48 hours after the Twins win the World Series... Starts snowing in Minneapolis on Halloween afternoon. By the time Trick or Treaters start, there's six inches of snow on the ground and climbing.
    By the time it was done a day or so later, there's like three feet on the ground and my parents don't see their mailbox until April.

Draft saved Draft deleted