1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weekly gets 163 applicants for position

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ServeItUp, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

This was mentioned on the "professional courtesy" thread but I thought it deserved its own.

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=820

Edits headline to reflect non-sports position. Mea culpa.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Re: Weekly gets 163 applicants for sports position

Holy friggin' crap. That's amazing. I could quote the entire column, but I'll just highlight these two passages:

People with master's degrees from Columbia? That's a little hard to believe but I suppose it's possible for someone wanting to stay in the area, saw the ad and applied as a backup.

Too much.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well before all the shit hit the fan, I got 105 applicants for a job I had open so I can believe the numbers have zoomed now.
    Of those 105, probably 80 were qualified and, if I'd pulled one of those 80 out a hat, he/she would have done just fine. Of the other 25, none of them were just plain bad. They just didn't have the experience, etc., the others did.
    Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of qualified, talented people out there. And fewer jobs than there were three years ago.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I say a little prayer of thanks every day that I got my current job right before people realized how bad things were and stopped looking down on this type of job.

5. tagline

tagline Member

Here's the line that bothered me:

If he had so many qualified applicants, why not hire one as features editor and pay them a reasonable salary? Instead, he's just adding to the problem and writing a lame column pretending he cares.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great point.

Although, it could have been worse ... at our shop, we're about two years into a hiring freeze. We aren't even hiring recent graduates.

On the plus side, there's plenty of great chairs to choose from if you want to switch seats. Just switch the deck chairs around on the ol' Titanic ...

Draft saved Draft deleted