1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weekly "Evergreen" Stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chris17, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Long time, no post.

Just a quick question for the fine folks.... I freelance for a small weekly in Dallas and put together one piece every week. These are more columns, rather than your traditional heavily-reported "article". But they are always sports.

Something about this time of year - with nothing going on - makes it difficult at times to find a story or an angle. So I wanted to ask...

What are some of the best "evergreen" type stories / angles you've seen? It's easy to write about football when football season starts, basketball during the finals, etc. But I'm looking for ideas that could live at just about any time.

Any feedback on ideas or things you've seen work well in the past, I'd appreciate. Thanks to all of you!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know about Evergreen, but there are a ton of semi-timeless stories you could do.

I assume football practice has started so here are a few off the top of the head ideas (I am sick of "heat" stories and won't mention that):

Are parents allowed to watch practice? Talk to them and coaches. Do coaches limit "input" from parents?

What drill do players dread/like?

What are colleges looking for and how do you get noticed?

How do coaches talk talented athletes into switching positions?

How do boosters raise money? Do parents geeked leaned on? Love helping out?

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted