1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weekly ESPN.com free-lancer needed for social media column

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jan 6, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In her defense, what the heck is she going to write about?

Twitter feeds? hinesward.com?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There are bigger stories in sports and social media right now. Daily.

In fact just today that one baseball player started trending because he stole from Macy's.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I am loathe to give ESPN.com story ideas. But there's a ton of interesting people to talk to whose tales haven't already been told to death. How about the mid-range MLB ballplayers who have started Tweeting in retirement and found it a good way to begin building a second career (Morgan Ensberg, Frank Catalanotto, Steve Karsay, just to name three). Or how about how teams are using Twitter to break news. Or how a player goes from just having an account to having a verified account.

There's a lot more interesting shit out there than Ozzie being Ozzie, which is old news to anyone who knows how to type www.twitter.com into a web browser. Maybe some year soon we'll get to read about it on ESPN.com. Maybe they'll even do some of these topics. Wouldn't that be fucking ironic.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can ESPN please hire Ozzie? He needs a new job.

5. 93Devil

Does that fit onto your resume?

Damn good post.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks. Counting you, that makes exactly one person who thinks I'm employable in the field of sportswriting. Is your district hiring?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Let me build on this.

How many things have happened in the last 6 months in sports that went nuts on Twitter?

March Madness and trending topics was huge.
    The Twitter fight between Matt Hasslebeck and Cromartie was too.
    Instead we are reading about Ozzie Guillen, again, a story that has been done to death. I swear if you gave me 15 minutes I could find a dozen sports related things to talk about.

Oh look, I just found some info on NBA teams who are using Twitter to give away ticket specials.

8. 93Devil

But if a player tweets real news, who gets the story? The social reporter or the beat reporter?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I know you are sort of joking but I've been intrigued by things like this lately. Like when Curtis Granderson wrote a blog for ESPN.com a few years ago. One of his entries was about how the whole Tigers team had the flu. It was well written, and interesting because it came from a unique angle.

Draft saved Draft deleted