1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weekly ESPN.com free-lancer needed for social media column

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Hey, everyone,

Since some people check this website for openings, we're looking to hire a free-lancer to write a weekly column on the intersection of social media and sports. Our emphasis would be athletes and Twitter, teams use of their own websites, the use of Facebook, etc., among other topics. It's really up to the candidates to frame the conversation of where this weekly column could go and where this position could lead.

Please send a resume, a cover letter with your thoughts on social media and sports and some links of your work to:

Mr. Lynn Hoppes
    Senior Director/ESPN.com
    lynn.hoppes@espn.com

Thanks.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I'd send you some stuff except I think the FanHouse address might turn off your side and my side might frown on it, too! But I'll definitely read.

Great opportunity for someone to regularly explore a booming topic.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Contemplating going home for lunch and submitting my resume.

4. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Hey, we've gotten a lot of good candidates. We're going through them and because of the X-Games/Super Bowl/All-Star Game/ESPN the Weekend, we hopefully will make a resolution in the next two to three months.

5. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Hey, everyone.
    Thanks for your interest in this position.
    We've named Maria Burns Ortiz our social media columnist.
    She'll start in April.
    She has been free-lancing for ESPN.com for about five years, has worked full-time for newspapers and magazines and has taught classes at Tuft University, including "Sports Journalism in the Internet Age".

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Thanks for the update and best of luck to her.

7. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Indeed. Those articles should make for some interesting reads.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Congrats to Maria. Wherever you are, know that Mustangj17 is bitter and jealous of your new social media position.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

So in the end, they go with the internal candidate. Shocking.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

That was my thought too. Why bother? Oh yeah, legal reasons.

11. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Here's the first column from the social media freelancer: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=burnsortiz/110418_ozzie_guillen&sportCat=mlb

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]Wow, Ozzie Guillen is on Twitter and says crazy shit there? I had no idea.[/blue]

Draft saved Draft deleted