1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weeklies and sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChrisMaza, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Ow. Even assuming you have a website that you can put time-sensitive content on, you have very few options for the print product. Previews don't work because the result of the game in between the printing and the delivery could render your story useless, especially toward the end of the season. Notebooks have the same problem. Obviously game stories don't work.

Only thing you can do is player profiles with little time-sensitive information (crossing your fingers they don't get injured or arrested between publication and delivery) and photo packages, because readers gravitate toward art.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

that sucks...can you talk with your ME about those deadlines?

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I would think that would be a problem with almost every sport that plays on the weekend, which is almost all of them. I second doing a lot of player profiles for this edition.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

yes, didn't think of that, but in our state at least most championship games are played Saturdays.

So in your case...Podunk High wins the state basketball title on Saturday, and your Monday edition comes out with a gamer from Thursday night's quarterfinal?
    That's messed up...talk with you editor and see if anything can be done.

Draft saved Draft deleted