1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 8 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Oct 22, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

NO. Gruden had Dungy's team. Spurrier replaced a 1 year Shottenheimer regime which followed Norv.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Shanahan should get a nice reception. If he doesn't, then the fans are idiots. He brought back the franchise, won two titles, had them competitive year in and year out. It wasn't his choice to leave, but when he was fired, it was time, especially with how the 2008 season ended.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

It was Jim Haslett that he mocked.

"I here Jim Haz-lett comes in a 4:30 in the morning. ... Not doing him too much good!"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/01/when_steve_spurrier_taunted_ji.html

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You are correct. My bad...

5. Mizzougrad96

I would think he will get a nice reception. While I don't dispute that it was probably time for him to go in Denver, it was a classic example of, "If you're going to fire a coach, you better make sure the guy who replaces him is at least as good... With the McCoach, that was definitely not the case... If Manning hadn't wound up in Denver, it would be really interesting to see where the Broncos would be today.

6. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Steve Smith continues to be awesome.

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/10/22/steve-smith-responds-to-his-locker-room-comments-about-rams-jenoris-jenkins/

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

That's a joke right?

8. MileHigh

Well, that was a case of Bowlen and Joe Ellis not having experience hiring a coach, especially one from the outside of the organization. The Broncos don't change coaches very often.

Bowlen bought the team in 1983 and inherited Reeves. that worked out pretty well until Reeves wanted Elway gone and Bowlen said no, and Reeves was dumped. Wade Phillips was promoted from DC and lasted two years. They brought back Shanahan, an Elway guy and that worked out pretty well. But by 2008, with the gag of that season and how big Shanahan had gotten, it was time for him to go. Things had gone stale. There was one playoff win since Super Bowl XXXIII.

So it was Ellis and Bowlen doing the hiring and they hired McIdiot, and while they started 6-0, that went downhill very quickly. Add in the Patriots-esque cheating scandal and the disaster of the season, Bowlen and Ellis wised up and brought in Elway after the 2010 season -- and that's worked out pretty well.

Don't think Manning ever would have come to Denver if Shanahan was still there. The franchise would be completely different had they won one of their last four games of the 2008 season and made the playoffs. No way Tebow comes in. Cutler, Hillis and Brandon Marshall are most likely still there. It's a completely different organization, probably the same as the previous 15 since the last Super Bowl win: Compete pretty much every year but can't get to the elite level. Shanahan's ego and dictator-like control suffocated the franchise. And if it took two years of McIdiot to get back to this level, it could be well worth it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I don't think Manning wanted to play for a HC who was considered an offensive guru. I think he wanted to go to a place with a HC who would let him do his thing. It's a nitpick, but I would have loved to have seen what Manning could do with the help of an offensive guru, and no, I don't consider Jim Caldwell an offensive guru.

10. MileHigh

Peyton Manning sitting out practice, raising more eyebrows that he did get hurt Sunday night, likely on the sack-fumble that led to the safety.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Might be a cumulative effect, too. He got hit more in that game than I've seen him hit in all the games he's played since his comeback combined.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

β€œHe sounds like he needs to wear some condoms,” says Smith

That is an outstanding interview. Actually not much of an interview. That is an outstanding give-Steve-Smith-an-open-phone-line.

Draft saved Draft deleted