1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 8 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the same, y'know ...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813c29ef&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Normally, I hate seeing Congress stick its collective nose into sports. It usually amounts to nothing more than grandstanding and a waste of time that could be spent on something more useful.

But now the NFL is being questioned regarding its treatment of former players and the way teams handle head injuries, and that is a good thing. Somebody needs to kick the league in the ass on both issues.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Careful ... Gene Upshaw may come back and threaten to break your (bleep bleeping) neck for broaching this subject.

(And you're right, OOP. NFL needed to have its feet held to the fire regarding this a long, long time ago.)

4. outofplace

The more I learn about both subjects, which are obviously related, the worse it sounds. The precautions with brain injuries in particularl have to be addressed.

And it does hit home a little harder because the Steelers are right in the middle of these hearings due to the way Mike Webster and Terry Long died. For an organization whose former players have had a tragic history, particularly with brain injuries, it is a little disconcerting to see Troy Polamalu flying around the field after suffering his eighth reported concussion last year. I say reported because I am absolutely positive he has had more that he did not report.

I don't know if the Steelers are actually any worse than any other organization in this regard, or if they have just had a little more bad luck. I'd like to think it is the latter, but the former would not shock me.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Rested and ready:

[​IMG]

Rested and ready?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This was no less true in August.

7. outofplace

Important to note that Johson was charged with assault Monday. He is accused of spitting a drink in a woman's face Oct. 10, the latest in a long list of incidents involving the mistreatment of women.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lawrence Phillips Lite seems to like spitting drinks at women; I believe this is the second such incident.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I bet Haley is just giddy he took this job. How much of his contract will KC have to eat?

10. outofplace

None for this year. I don't think they are going to cut him. They aren't going to reward his bad behavior by giving him what he wants, which is out of town. They're just going to sit his ass on the bench.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

What exactly did he call Haley? Fa--ot?

12. outofplace

No, he reserved that for a fan on Twitter and I think he called a reporter one as well.

I didn't get to see the Twitter post before he protected his account, but my understanding was that he questioned Haley's credentials.

Draft saved Draft deleted