1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 8 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Oct 21, 2020.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I didn't see this anywhere. I apologize if it's a re-post.

Illinois at No. 14 Wisconsin (-20) 8 p.m. (BTN)

Syracuse at No. 1 Clemson (-45.5) Noon (ACCN)
    Nebraska at No. 5 Ohio State (-26) Noon (FOX)
    No. 23 N.C. State at No. 14 North Carolina (-16) Noon (ESPN)
    Kansas at No. 20 Kansas State (19.5) Noon (FS1)
    Georgia Southern at No. 25 Coastal Carolina (-6) Noon (ESPNU)
    Florida Atlantic at No. 22 Marshall (-16.5) 2:30 p.m.
    No. 2 Alabama (-21) at Tennessee 3:30 p.m. (CBS)
    No. 3 Notre Dame (-10.5) at Pittsburgh 3:30 p.m. (ABC)
    No. 17 Iowa State at No. 6 Oklahoma State (-3.5) 3:30 p.m. (FOX)
    No. 8 Penn State (-6.5) at Indiana 3:30 p.m. (FS1)
    No. 19 Virginia Tech (-9.5) at Wake Forest 3:30 p.m. (ESPN+)
    No. 18 Michigan (-3) at No. 21 Minnesota 7:30 p.m. (ABC)
    Virginia at No. 11 Miami (-11.5) 8 p.m. (ACCN)
    No. 9 Cincinnati at No. 16 SMU (-2.5) 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
    Texas State at No. 12 BYU (-28) 10:15 p.m. (ESPN)

We’ve entered Phase 3 of the CFB season with the Big Ten officially participating and with that it’s a packed schedule at noon and 3:30 with 13 of the Top 25 playing between those two times. The Clemson-Syracuse line opened at -49 before coming down a little.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

None of these games appeal to me either aesthetically or as financial propositions. I will say 16.5 is a lot of points to give away by a team that just lost to Fla. St.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

Most interesting thing to me right now is UMass football piecing together a schedule on the fly. If you remember back in August or so UMass head coach Walt Bell said that canceling the football season was far more crushing to him than losing both of his parents. Well the Minutemen put Georgia Southern on the schedule this past Saturday to give one game to the home fans and they lost 41-0.

After seeing that debacle, it's no surprise that within hours after the loss, Marshall and Liberty decided they wanted to get in on this UMass fun and scheduled games with them for Nov. 22 and Nov. 27.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And UMass scheduled two more losses.

UAB and Louisiana Friday night is a pretty good match up. ULaLa has a good team this year, and they'd like nothing more than to come into Legion Field and bust up a 21 game home win streak.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Take Pitt to lose (AGAAAAAAAAAIN!) but cover. We always do for some reason when we play these scissor lift motherfuckers.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

Two more shutouts! No way is that team scoring a fucking point this season. I think my high school alma mater could take them.

Wenders likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Especially to a team that's ranked in the Top 25. I don't know anything about N.C. State, but if they're ranked they should be halfway decent, right? And, after losing $20 on North Carolina last week, I might just bet against them out of pure spite.

Clemson can probably cover that 45.5 pretty easily, but anytime a line gets over 40 I'm hesitant. One fluke touchdown can really screw you. Another in garbage time means Clemson has to score 60 just to cover, which means they have to be somewhat motivated to run up the score once the starters are out. The first half line (27.5, which is still pretty high) or the over (62.5) are probably better bets.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Some things you really need to know then ...
    1) NCSU's starting QB broke his fibula in last weekend's game against Duke and is out at least a month. Devin Leary was the reason that offense was rolling. Some good WRs and depth and quality at RB, but Leary pulled off a late game-winning drive against Pittsburgh that was reminiscent of Philip Rivers.
    2) Chapel Hill should NOT have lost to Florida State - in Tallahassee, Chapel Hill or West Hell - and I suspect they're being consistently reminded of it by Mack's staff this week.
    3) Game is in Chapel Hill.

Does NCSU have a shot? Of course. But will the offense turtle the moment Bailey Hockman tosses an INT like what happened against Wake Forest? A Deacons DB jumped the route and pick-sixed Hockman. While NCSU won 45-42, they played not to lose and far too conservative offensively after Hockman was picked.

maumann and Batman like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Covering State-Carolina when the game's smack dab in the middle of the N.C. State Fair is one of my great memories. Highway 54 past the fairgrounds isn't a great drive even when there's no fair. Compound game day traffic with people going to buy fried dough and see pig races, and it was like navigating the Rose Bowl Parade route on New Year's morning. But the payoff was the pulled pork available in the press box.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Batman and doctorquant like this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

If Mack Brown couldn't beat this FSU team he'll never beat FSU.

N.C. State HAS to have a better No. 2 QB than Bailey Hockman right?

11. Sam Mills 51

No. That's the problem.

And there's a disturbing trend. When Dave Doeren has the stellar QB, they're fine. When he doesn't, there's a lack of coaching structure and scheme that hasn't allowed NCSU to overcome this.

Hockman helped lead an offense to a shootout win over Wake Forest, then no-showed in Blacksburg. Dating back to last season, Hockman did not show the signs, the intangibles or the overall ability to get the job done.

Obviously, I hope he turns the corner and proves me wrong Saturday in Chapel Hill. I'm not holding my breath. They could run with Knight, Houston and Person, but thinking that a simple overdose of this will be enough is insulting Mack's intelligence and Chapel Hill's talent.

12. Sam Mills 51

Then you'll fully understand why the State Troopers pushed to put a stop to that crap.

Every two years, traffic was a Charlie Foxtrot seen only after air shows at military bases. It made no sense. People didn't need a gimmick to attend either event. Jim Graham had no problem filling the Fairgrounds. NCSU and Chapel Hill were going to get people to go through the turnstiles at Carter-Finley.

And all it made for was an enormous mess. But you're right ... the pulled pork is a reminder of home (I'm from one of the places known for it, though a place literally a few hundred yards down the road from the famous place actually puts out a better product).

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted