1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 7 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The conference powers don't want a rival, they want another Vanderbilt. Think Saban wants to play Clemson in Atlanta every year? It's a 50-50 shot you miss the playoffs.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It won't happen. And the reason it won't happen is that unlike the ACC, the SEC protects its members' turf. Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Vandy were in from the start. The SEC turned down FSU so many times in the 1950s and 1960s that, as legend has it, FSU got tired of being jilted and took the ACC's invite even though its could have gone to the SEC in 1990. Things are going pretty well these days. South Carolina would be ravaged by Clemson's presence in the SEC, and there's no need to do it.
    For the same reason, they'll never take University-6, which prostituted itself every few years but never got in because Kentucky wouldn't have approved.
    There's much to be said for that.

Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Several ACC schools -- Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville and North Carolina State -- were mentioned as targets during the 2012 round of expansion. The first four were pretty publicly shot down because the SEC schools in those states didn't want their counterpart schools in the league. I forget why N.C. State went nowhere.
    IIRC, a similar line of thinking was a bit of a stumbling block for Oklahoma and Oklahoma State leaving the Big 12 in that era. The state legislature was going to fight to keep it from happening unless it was a package deal -- there might have even been a law on the books requiring it -- but neither the Pac-12 nor SEC really wanted to take Okie State.

4. tapintoamerica

NC State couldn't go anywhere for political reasons. UNC and State are both under the umbrella of the UNC System. Something of that magnitude would almost certainly have to be approved by the System's Board of Governors, which couldn't allow something that would help one school at the expense of another. Particularly the flagship.

Batman likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I think you mean Climpson.
    — Jim Tom Pinch

FileNotFound, maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Go Gators. And let’s sell out the Swamp! :rolleyes:

maumann and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hope Florida can still fill that stadium this weekend!

maumann likes this.
  8. swingline

Mullen should have to French kiss every infected player. Because fuck that stupid-ass motherfucker.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Any chance we can get them to take on running the University of Alabama System?

10. tapintoamerica

Interesting thing about this story is that they don’t enumerate the contacts in quarantine. That’s the way you play. You pretend none of the infected players has been in close contact with anyone else.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Karma is a Grade AA, Extra Large four-egg omelet with a side of hash browns, a rasher of bacon and an ice cold cup of shut your pie hole, Dan Mullen.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

First, you get stuffed by your athletic director. Then the university president kicks you square between the legs. And ... hello! Finding a defense is suddenly the least of Mullen's worries.

BITCH SLAP!

Just four days ago, "We need to fill the Swamp." Now his team is filling Shands Hospital's COVID Unit. I hope for their sakes, they are OK and suffer no long-term effects. But damn, if that wasn't John Lennon's Instant Whoop Ass Karma in a Can coming back to bite like an angry alligator.

My brother's been spouting BS stats since his little kiddle went back in August about how well UF has contained things, and the marching band will be here and there, and the football team has zero cases. He's not responding to my texts tonight.

DeSantis will deflect until the second half. But maybe this is a serious enough tipping point for anyone undecided whether it's a hoax or not. Here it is, in all its glorious Orange and Blue glory.

We are the Boys from Old COVID-19. F-L-O-R-I-D-A!

12. swingline

“rasher of bacon”

I’d never heard that term before. I wish I knew how to post that NBC “The More You Know” image.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted