1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 6 NFL Thread: Cliff Stoudt edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The officiating has been so bad across the board this season ... the games are unwatchable. There were flags on five or six straight plays at the end of Dallas-Jets.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They really are the cowardly Lions. Anyone remember the 2015 game against the Seahawks where they got fucked by officials and no one said a word? Not dumbass Jim Caldwell, not Matt Stanford. Management actually sent out word to the Detroit media that they wouldn’t be answering questions on the matter after the fact. Like I said, they’re a Bitch organization.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is some deep, nuanced analysis of last nights game.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

On a free message board you’re lucky I was even that verbose.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Lions have not been a genuine force in the NFL since Bobby Layne retired.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They made the NFC title game in like 1989, but yeah, otherwise that’s true.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Let me just recap here.
    At no point in the second half was the win probability less than 97%. It was higher than 97% at the moments you are discussing.

Not only objective evidence says the Steelers weren't going to lose, the eye test says the same. The Chargers were not going to win this game.

Yet you say, "I really don't care about objective evidence", and go on prattling.

This is why you are a bad message board poster.

Good message board posters know when to take the "L".

When every shred of evidence says you're wrong, except your often-wrong gut, you think that not giving an inch is a good strategy. It isn't. Its a poor one.

Good posters, when on the losing end of an argument, will say, "I was wrong". Or, "I let the emotions get the best of me, I wasn't thinking straight." Or, if nothing else, give a terse, "Fair enough".

But you are a bad message board poster. You keep fighting on, even when you are 100% wrong.

Keep being you.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was 1991, actually. Which is also the last time the Redskins played in the NFC championship game. Those two and the Cowboys are the only NFC teams not to play in the conference championship game this century.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Ed Fucking Hochuli's son was given his own crew. These jackholes make six figures for a part-time job. And there's even less public accountability than MLB umps.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

So it's like the rest of the NFL? :D

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not objective evidence. It is a probability, which is based on criteria chosen by the people who created it.

I'll give you one example of how that probability doesn't work. It assumes an extremely low percentage chance of recovering an on-side kick because they have become even more difficult with the recent rule changes for kickoffs. In fact, no kicking team has recovered one yet this year. Yet if you watched the game Sunday, you saw that the Chargers hit one as close to perfect as you can get and it took a spectacular catch by Cameron Sutton of the Steelers to keep them from getting the ball near midfield. Would the Chargers have had a decent shot if the had the ball near midfield with a minute and a half remaining against a defense that hadn't stopped them on two consecutive drives? Of course. Watch that catch and tell me there was a high percentage chance of Sutton making it. Now go back and try again and give an honest answer this time.

I wasn't wrong. Your probability doesn't hold up to a valid analysis of the situation. The Chargers had a chance until the final interception with about a minute to go.

You're wrong, poin, but that never seems to stop you. But hey, you got likes from the pile jumper and CD, who really only cares about his own butthurt from another thread.

That brings us to the real problem. It could have been a throwaway comment, but the real bad poster here, CD, made a fight of it because he was upset over being exposed so badly on another thread.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted