1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 5 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 1, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's Week 5 and the player is tweeting he could be back Week 7.

You were an ass, but it did not work out. Harvin will be back before the playoffs if it's not in Week 7.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I never said he wouldn't be back before the playoffs. But based on the information we've all seen now, it doesn't seem likely that he's back for week 7. You're right, though. It is possible. In the same way it's possible that the Christian Science Monitor is a good source for your sporting news.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's place bets on whether Harvin plays in Week 7.

I say no way.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hope you've consulted Christian Science Monitor -- or Percy Harvin's Twitter account a month ago -- before making such outlandish predictions.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I usually consult with Christian Science Monitor and then combine it with the sports coverage on the Al Jazeera network before I make my bets. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I used to play the NFL Picks contest in the Catholic Herald.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1) The Cowboys and Lions usually flip-flop AFC and NFC opponents. That way CBS gets the early game one year, Fox the next, and same with the late game.

2) They've already made an effort to push a bunch of division games to December. If it's not three in a row at the end for most teams, it's probably three of the last four, or three of the last five.

3) People that are going to games in cold weather, are going to go regardless. Cold weather and snow adds something to the experience, IMO. I realize mileage will vary on that one.

4) Not every team hates the Thursday games. They're rough on the front end, but having 10 days on the back side almost acts as a second bye week. They might also want to avoid playing once in 21 days. Plus, with three or more teams on a bye most weeks and only one Thursday night slot available, it's not always feasible to have bye teams playing the following Thursday.

5) They used to take World Series Sunday off. Not sure what's happened with that, unless it's the NFL giving a middle finger to MLB like they do everyone else.

6) I believe there are rules on the number of primetime appearances a team can make in a single season. Everybody plays one Thursday game, and I think the cap is four Sunday/Monday nighters. Fox and CBS can also put the kibosh on certain flex games, within a certain timeframe.

8. LongTimeListener

49ers' Donte Whitner says he is legally changing his name to Donte Hitner.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/10/02/49ers-physical-safety-will-legally-change-to-hitner/

He was a whithead but now is a shithead, I guess.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just one letter off "Hitler" ... just as Nostradamus predicted ...

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yes, because they are unlikely to be favored in ANY of their remaining games for the rest of the season. Maybe not next season, either. Unless, of course, they sign Tim Tebow!!

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

See, it's not really that much of a stretch now, is it?

12. LongTimeListener

Pryor back starting for the Raiders.

Flynn ... third string. Matt McGloin is now the backup.

At this point I think if they need a third QB they might just go full wildcat with McFadden for the remainder of the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted