1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 5 NFL thread: Whatever happened to Deiter Brock?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

The 49ers rushed for 250 yards. The Jets defense sucked on toast in that game.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was 7-0 until the final play of the first half, and the 49ers spent a good amount of time going nowhere. A lot of those yards were garbage time.

I don't know the jets D too much other than what I saw that day, but they weren't that bad.

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I agree. If the Jets go with Tebow, they'd need to rely a lot more on defense (which is possible) and make the offense more about not making mistakes than trying to make big plays. It wouldn't be pretty to watch, but it might be effective.

4. I dunno. I know it was a small sample size, but Tebow moved the ball when he got in against the Steelers. The problem is, whether Sanchez says so or not, this bothers him way more than it should. Sanchez was having a heck of a game through the first few drives, then they put Tebow in for a series, not just a play or two, and Sanchez sucked it up the rest of the game. For a guy with icewater in his veins enough to get him through the play off record he sported his first couple seasons, he sure is a little mentally fragile.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was three plays, one of which was a loss and another that should have been (a Pittsburgh defender whiffed badly on a tackle in the backfield). People make way too much about what Tebow did in that game, just like they always make way too much out of whatever Tebow does.

If that really was the turning point for Sanchez, that's pretty damn pathetic.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/odds/moneyline;_ylt=AsSIwZjQ1RhfBI0uIjk2_FwsWaB4

Looking at some of the moneylines this week, a few things stick out as decent value bets among the dogs.

Philadelphia +160 at Pittsburgh
    Washington +135 vs. Atlanta (yeah, yeah, homer, homer!!) Shouldn't this be way higher than +135? Little fishy.
    Kansas City +190 vs. Baltimore
    Denver +235 (!!!) at New England

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Denver does seem a bit overpriced (is that the right term for it?), even if they are at New England. The fact they have some guy named Manning at quarterback means Denver isn't that far out of pretty much any game it plays.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. That was kind of my point, on how pathetic it is if Tebow has that much of an effect on Sanchez. But, the Jets built this mess. Let them deal with it.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Pro Football Focus did a nice 3-play breakdown of why Sanchez sucks, and it isn't the offensive line and it isn't that his receivers are no good. It's that he has no feel for pressure and no ability to read coverage.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/03/analysis-notebook-week-4/

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you go with Tebow, I think you limit your offense even more than with Sanchez. But if that's what you think will get it done, go for it.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If Tebow is the answer, you have a pretty fucking pathetic question. His success as a passer who wholly about throwing deep balls down the field. That's it. He couldn't hit a sideline or short pass to save his life. In that last playoff game, Pittsburgh oversold too much on the run, and Tebow merely had to rainbow up a pass on a post pattern where there was one-on-one coverage and zero safety help. If there's a reason to "give him a chance," it's to watch him get pounded so everyone will shut up about giving him a chance. He's a great athlete, and I think there's an argument the Jets are underusing him for that purpose. But not as a full-time quarterback.

Of all the early-season surprises (Arizona and Minnesota being so good, for example), perhaps one of the biggest is Norv Turner's Chargers starting 3-1 instead of their usual early-season fuckups. I know the teams they've beaten are a combined 3-9, but still.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh Bob, don't tease me into thinking this year could be as confoundingly awesome as last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted